Chuck roast...how long?

sparky66

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Brethren,

I just got a 2.8 lb. chuck roast to cook on my UDS. How long is it going to roughly take and what temp. should I cook it on?

Thanks

I wanna say 1.5 hours a pound like at 250ish? But I have only done one like a year ago and I'm still new at this.

I'm sure someone better will come along to tell you for sure if I'm right?

1 to 1.5 hours/lb. The little ones can take a long time to get probe tender. Finishing temp will be anywhere from 195 to 210, but most of the ones in that size I've done have been probe tender around 205-208.

1 to 1.5 hours/lb. The little ones can take a long time to get probe tender. Finishing temp will be anywhere from 195 to 210, but most of the ones in that size I've done have been probe tender around 205-208.

Hey El Ropo,

Can I amp up the cooker temp. to speed things up? What would be a good temp. to cook at? Also, would you foil in between?

Thanks

Yes, I usually start for first hour at 250, then ramp up the temp to 300ish till done. Many people will let them get up to around 160-165 internal, then place in a foil pan with some veggies, then tightly cover with foil till done. There's a few great pepper stout beef recipes here somewhere, but I always treat them like I would pulled pork, and make straight sammies with the pulled meat. The beef flavor is soooo goooood!

NYEChukie002.jpg

Yes, I usually start for first hour at 250, then ramp up the temp to 300ish till done. Many people will let them get up to around 160-165 internal, then place in a foil pan with some veggies, then tightly cover with foil till done. There's a few great pepper stout beef recipes here somewhere, but I always treat them like I would pulled pork, and make straight sammies with the pulled meat. The beef flavor is soooo goooood!

NYEChukie002.jpg

Looks good El Ropo...I know you don't like to foil and I'm not foiling tonight either. I'm making sammies too. Thanks bro and thanks to all.

I've done chuck roast for pulled beef more than a few times, though not since last year. I got a crazy idea in my head that for a tailgate next Saturday I want to do butts + chuck roast and maybe bacon and shred them all together. I can't think of a reason why this would be a bad idea, can you?

The only thing that might make it difficult would be timing. I will need to start the butts the night before. How big might I be able to find a chuck roast in a mostly non-bbq friendly state/area?

I do chuck roasts as much as I do pork butts. I cook them exactly as I do butts. Sometimes I'll spice with salt, pepper and garlic powder and other times, just like pork butt. Cook at 225* to 250* the whole way. Foil at 150* to 160*, with a little beef broth. Probe tender usually at about 200* to 205*, but I start checking at 190*, with 20 minute intervals. Results are excellent. I like to serve with warm flour tortillas, guacamole and salsa or as is, with baked potato and broccoli. I love a good, fatty chuck roast!

NYEChukie002.jpg
El Ropo,

off the heezee! lol. So good brother. Thanks again.

It is so important to go by Probe tenderness rather than internal temperature for Chuckies. I've had them up to 205 - 210 degrees and they still were not ready to pull.

As it happens I cooked my first chuck roasts yesterday. Tried to keep it very simple rubbed them with seasoning salt and pepper. Cooked indirect on the Weber at 325-350 till internal temp was 165, about 3 hour or a little less. Then I panned them, added potatoes and onions sealed and cooked an additional for 2.5 hours. Being hunger I didn't probe or check final temps. They were not quite ready for pulling but sliced and tasted great.

Back