pig roast

D

daddywoofdawg

I got a call today for a pig roast for 200 next July.I've only done one pig roast so far,so I'm trying to figure out how big a pig to get(quote).and how many 1/4's would you quote? they want the following:

Pig (how many lbs of meat do you get out of a pig?)
Some chicken 1/4's for those who don't eat pork
Baked beans
tater salad
watermelon
buns
How big a pig do I need?
And how many 1/4's would you add?
98% adults (class reunion)
Dinner at 6pm

If you want to feed 200 then you would need a 200 lb pig. That's the rule of thumb - one pound (pre-cooked weight) per person. That has typically worked out for me - though I have only done this for parties, not a paying gig.

I got a call today for a pig roast for 200 next July.I've only done one pig roast so far,so I'm trying to figure out how big a pig to get(quote).and how many 1/4's would you quote? they want the following:

Pig (how many lbs of meat do you get out of a pig?)
Some chicken 1/4's for those who don't eat pork
Baked beans
tater salad
watermelon
buns
How big a pig do I need?
And how many 1/4's would you add?
98% adults (class reunion)
Dinner at 6pm

I don't do catering anymore, but used to work for a caterer years ago. I don't know how YOU can quote the number of 1/4s - I would have them tell you how many they want. There's no way for you to know how many will want chicken. Again, I'm no expert - others may correct me, but I just don't know how you can do it...

I would price a 150# pig and 150 chix quarters, 2 full pans beans, 2 full pans potato salad, 15 doz. rolls, and about 12 whole watermelons.

I would price a 150# pig and 150 chix quarters, 2 full pans beans, 2 full pans potato salad, 15 doz. rolls, and about 12 whole watermelons.

Just curious, when you quote a 150 pound pig for 200 ppl,, are you quoting live weight or dressed weight?. That size crowd I would order between 200-220 lbs live weight. (have to go by live weight in my area)

Do not be afraid to compliment the pig with some pulled pork. The general rule of thumb is 1# per as stated earlier.

150 lb pig will get ya about 50 lbs usable meat @ 1/3 lb per person = 150 servings.

Ive cooked a few whole hogs, figured fresh weight you will lose 40-45% total weight due to shrinkage and the skeleton which you cant eat.
That came from my deceased father in law who butchered hogs his entire life, and we bbq-ed many of them.

Back