MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
The Gourmet can easily be modded to be just as functional as a wsm or uds. You just have to spend a couple hours and $20 or so to get it up to speed.

Think in terms of how a UDS works with airflow under and around the coals, adjustable intake system, and grate level thermometer. Not much else to it.

If you have a Lowe's up there, they have a gourmet knockoff that is less expensive than the gourmet, but has a few nicer features, like spring handle side door, locking bottom section, etc.

It also has a larger intake hole on the bottom.

$59.00 US.
I have 2 of these. I call them my WSM clones.

I have one at my cabin, I liked it so much I bought one for the house, to go along with my offset and soon-to-be-sold wattburner!!!

You cant beat it for $59. I paid $48 for the 2nd one, on sale.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

OK, this is funny has heck. I just checked Lowe's Canada website, and they have a picture of the same smoker, but they neglected to install the bottom section for the website pic. Also, the side door handle is different. I think you'd have to visit their store to figure out what's up.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, that Lowe's knock off looks real nice. It also looks like it has a better fitting lid than the ECB.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
OK, this is funny has heck. I just checked Lowe's Canada website, and they have a picture of the same smoker, but they neglected to install the bottom section for the website pic. Also, the side door handle is different. I think you'd have to visit their store to figure out what's up.

I am an expert on these LOL

Actually, this is a cheaper version. I saw it at Lowes when I picked up my 2nd one when it was on sale. I think they are clearing them out and replacing it with this one, it does not have the middle section. So it sits a lot shorter plus the food racks are a thinner gauge

Too bad...
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

the bottom-less ECB is fine in one single situation:

70-80 deg
<5 mph wind
275 deg cooking temp

If any of these does not sound like your situation when starting, FAIL.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I see these on Craigslist a lot, for cheap check them out, you may see something else in the process that would do you better. If you lived closer I have one or two out back I would give you.
Dave

Yea I have one I rescued from trash pickup he could have to, but the shipping would be more than buying a new one up there :-). I have a UDS and grabbed a 30 gallon drum to make a mini UDS, so modding the ECB just never seems to happen.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #22
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

If I was you I'd build a mini WSM but use a barrel instead of the aluminum pot so it's taller and can fit more racks. I forget the barrel size that works for the mini WSM design but I think it's 16 gallons. They are pretty easy to find, and a whole lot of guys can help ya on cooks with the mini since so many have them.

I say this because you said your willing to mod the Brinkmann and that means you are handy enough to build stuff, so that's the route I'd take. The Smokey Joe is a solid platform to start off of and isn't as big as a UDS. But if you plan on doing larger cuts or amounts maybe the UDS is the better option. A TON TON TON of people could help you with learning to cook on a UDS no doubt, more than the mini WSM probably.

I'm just not a Brinkmann fan though since my first smoker was a Brinkmann electric. Only dry tough meats ever came off if it. I might as well have just slid the meat in the oven and threw a few sticks of wood on the floor of the oven. Same principle. I guess that's not what we're talking about here, but still I don't like Brinkmann products.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #23
gigantor
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
The Gourmet can easily be modded to be just as functional as a wsm or uds. You just have to spend a couple hours and $20 or so to get it up to speed.

Think in terms of how a UDS works with airflow under and around the coals, adjustable intake system, and grate level thermometer. Not much else to it.

If you have a Lowe's up there, they have a gourmet knockoff that is less expensive than the gourmet, but has a few nicer features, like spring handle side door, locking bottom section, etc.

It also has a larger intake hole on the bottom.

$59.00 US.

This smoker has been discont'd at Lowes. They replaced it w/ a unit that is a replica of the Brinkmann Gourmet unit. I got two d/c units for 20bux each.
I modded the bottom to improve air flow. Basically ordered two Brinkmann dampers, drilled holes at the bottom for better air flow. The new "Master Forge" smoker costs $69.
gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #24
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

gigantor, among others, is correct about the Master Forge old and new models; the old one is 36 inches high [the Brinkman Gourmet is 35] and the new MF is 20.25 inches high (?!). The Canadian model (according to the picture posted) is the same as what is now the current model in the US (the 20.25 inch one).
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantor View Post
This smoker has been discont'd at Lowes. They replaced it w/ a unit that is a replica of the Brinkmann Gourmet unit. I got two d/c units for 20bux each.
I modded the bottom to improve air flow. Basically ordered two Brinkmann dampers, drilled holes at the bottom for better air flow. The new "Master Forge" smoker costs $69.
$20?! I'd like to have that just for a cold smoking chamber if nothing else. That is an insane price. I gotta get to Lowe's tomorrow. Did you buy them recently? Or was that a while back?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #26
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

I found the old MF listed on the Lowes site for $39 about a week ago; but when I started the ordering procedure it showed not in stock in any stores in my area. Called the central warehouse and they had none in stock, but they arranged for a Lowes in SC to sell me one at the same price if I would pay half the shipping (there was no ship to store since the it didn't come from the central warehouse). There are not supposed to be any stores here in NC that have them now, but you can check the site for stores in your area.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFatties View Post
Those things in my opinion are the reason many people try their hand at smoking and quit. Those things being cheap smokers one can get readily that dont work well and dont turn out good BBQ without lots of mods and blood, sweat, and tears. I started with one of those and nearly quit.

^^^^ That would be my personal story. I bought the Gourmet many moons ago when I thought about getting into smoking. The poor build quality was disappointing. There were half-inch gaps where the lid and body met...I couldn't keep a fire going. It was nothing but a farking frustrating fiasco. Of course, I knew nothing of this place or the necessary mods, so after several failures I sold it for $7 at a yard sale and was happy to see it go!

Now I look for a cheap one on CL to buy and mod, just to get the better it.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
silverbullet
Got rid of the matchlight.

Wow...this is a bunch of great comments here...Thanks to all who gave their time to help a newbie. As luck would have it i am heading to Kalispell Montana the first of May for some Grayling fishing on the fly and plan on looking around there for my new smoker.. Don't want to start any arguments and appreciate all the various comments but it will most likely be the ECB Gourmet and do the mods unless i see a WSM on sale and pull the trigger (without the misses lookin of course).. Cheers to all and thanks again..
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote