MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #76
nukenight
On the road to being a farker

The proposed Sam's contest in Baton Rouge, LA is 16 miles from an eleven-year old contest that raises money for St. Jude and the Dream Day Foundation. This established sanctioned contest (not with KCBS) has had anywhere from 35-61 teams. It is obvious to me that KCBS and Sam's do not understand BBQ in Louisiana. This is why KCBS needs some type of regional representation! The farther you get from KCMO, the less KCBS cares about BBQ, judges, or cooks. Here, I am using the phrase KCBS to mean the 20-50 people associated with the office, board, and other insiders, not the 15,000 plus other members.
nukenight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #77
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't believe that the locations and dates have a lot to do with KCBS. It appears to be more of logistics about going from one contest to the next, week after week. Sam's along with MMA pick locations and dates and then check for other KCBS contests in the area since it is a KCBS sanctioned contest. Most of the time, other sanctioning bodies do not even consider what others are doing as there are no established communications except via phone calls after the fact.

If you feel strongly enough about the scheduling, then contact the folks who are in charge, MMA, and discuss it with them. Last year, there was a problem with one of the locations chosen that only the local people were aware of. This information was communicated to MMA and they, in discussions with Sam's, made a change.

Bringing it up on a forum is well and good and allows you to vent and gather addition support for your position but, it won't acheive the desired results, only direct communications with the actual people doing the schedule can accomplish change.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #78
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

I am grateful for the Sam's Club sponsorship of this series and I think it is great for the "sport" of BBQ.

It is a little disappointing to see no contests in CA, which is a very fast growing BBQ region. Most of the issues I have seen in past contests were due to scheduling conflicts. Most notably regionals that conflicted with pre-scheduled large state events.

In the end it is up to the organizers and sponsors to make the decisions that they think will best serve the program. I wish them all the best in making this a successful series of events that will continue on for years to come.

I also wish all the brethren teams that sign up the best of luck and success for their cooks!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #79
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Is it the opinion of some that if some one throws enough money your way, you lose all rights to openly question or critique him? I don't argue that this is Walmart's party. They can bring whatever toys they want, allow whomever they want to play, and take them home whenever they see fit. I also agree that no one is required to play, but I don't think it means that people should be made to feel badly for voicing opinions that aren't complete praise. Whether or not you feel that this is good for KCBS or BBQ, and whether or not you participate, you should be allowed to speak your mind, especially if you do it respecfully.

Just my humble opinion,

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #80
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Is it the opinion of some that if some one throws enough money your way, you lose all rights to openly question or critique him? I don't argue that this is Walmart's party. They can bring whatever toys they want, allow whomever they want to play, and take them home whenever they see fit. I also agree that no one is required to play, but I don't think it means that people should be made to feel badly for voicing opinions that aren't complete praise. Whether or not you feel that this is good for KCBS or BBQ, and whether or not you participate, you should be allowed to speak your mind, especially if you do it respecfully.

Just my humble opinion,

dmp
I agree whole heartly. It just how it happens that can be taken wrong. As an example a previous poster could have worded it differently and would have garnered support from a bunch of us.

Instead of
"The proposed Sam's contest in Baton Rouge, LA is 16 miles from an eleven-year old contest that raises money for St. Jude and the Dream Day Foundation. This established sanctioned contest (not with KCBS) has had anywhere from 35-61 teams. It is obvious to me that KCBS and Sam's do not understand BBQ in Louisiana. This is why KCBS needs some type of regional representation! The farther you get from KCMO, the less KCBS cares about BBQ, judges, or cooks. Here, I am using the phrase KCBS to mean the 20-50 people associated with the office, board, and other insiders, not the 15,000 plus other members."

It could have read "The proposed Sam's contest in Baton Rouge, LA is 16 miles from an eleven-year old contest that raises money for St. Jude and the Dream Day Foundation. This established sanctioned contest (not with KCBS) has had anywhere from 35-61 teams. I wonder if anyone knows or has thought of this. Whom should I contact to discuss this with a possiblilty to change the date or location?"

I think that this would at least get discussion and consideration at MMA and Sam's but might not get the desired results.

I was, in the 70 plus years of my life, taught that you are a part of the solution or you are the problem and to never present a problem without a proposed solution. It gets the ball rolling so to speak.

Just my .02 and thank you for at least reading.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #81
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

yep Big Poppa said it best. But I'm not sure it was us that brought it on ourselves. Having the regional on the very edge of the region was a big mistake. (Vegas is the perfect place for the regional and im glad they moved it back this year). Not to mention most teams had already signed up for the queen mary comp. We too qualified and didnt move on for those reasons.
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #82
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

Even though two Sam's events are in TN, only one is local. The second one in Hendersonville is a regional. Must win a local to qualify for a regional, IIRC.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #83
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooftop bbq View Post
yep Big Poppa said it best. But I'm not sure it was us that brought it on ourselves. Having the regional on the very edge of the region was a big mistake. (Vegas is the perfect place for the regional and im glad they moved it back this year). Not to mention most teams had already signed up for the queen mary comp. We too qualified and didnt move on for those reasons.
Then you kind of did bring it on yourself.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Sam's Club