Jerk Chicken or Jerk Pork

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. My rotation of meats that go through my smoker is not vast, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm always looking to expand the menu, and add things I haven't cooked before. I'm a big fan of Malcom Reed, and I copy most of his methods, which we find to be fantastic. One recipe on his site that I haven't tried is Jerk Pork. He uses pork steaks, which are part of my rotation, but not in a Caribbean Jerk flavor. Malcom makes his own marinade from scratch, but I wouldn't be opposed to a store bought version.

When I was shopping for yesterday's meat (pork steaks, ironically), I saw a jerk marinade at the store, and had it in my hand a couple of times. But I put it back, thinking I would try it another time, perhaps on chicken. My wife is a bigger fan of chicken than she is of pork or beef.

The reason for this post is to ask how many of the Brethren have tried a Jerk chicken or Jerk pork recipe. Some of the spices are interesting... nutmeg, clove, allspice, cinnamon. I'm intrigued, but I don't know if I'm intrigued enough to give it a go. If I can ever manage to be at my office at lunch time on a Tuesday (instead of out in the field), I can get jerk tacos from a taco truck that parks near our office. I'm really tempted to try making this version of chicken at home. I don't make much chicken, so this could become a regular part of the rotation. I won't be making it over the Memorial Day weekend though, as I owe someone at work a batch of pulled pork (he won a raffle that I agreed to provide winner's choice of ribs or PP for).

I would love to hear the opinions of the fine folks here. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'll have to see if I can find it Online. I know it had green in the text on the label. It was in an end cap display with other flavors, such as teriyaki. I'll check now to see if I can find it.

World Harbors is the brand I saw. I may try it 2 weeks from now. However, we tentatively have company coming for dinner that Saturday, and I doubt I'll want to make something for the first time with guests coming over.

I've not tried Jerk pork, but I'm a HUGE fan of Jerk Chicken!

Walkerswood (Hot or Mild) is what I usually search for, and we really enjoy it with a squeeze of lime over the top.

Chicken Wings are a good way to try it out on a limited scale, if you're concerned.

Dive in, brother! Great stuff ahead!

Normally when not being lazy this is the way Nellie does it.
6T vegetable oil- ¼ C fresh lime juice- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped- 4 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded, coarsely chopped- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped- 2T fresh thyme- 1t minced peeled fresh ginger- 1T packed dark brown sugar- 2t allspice berries- 1t kosher salt- 1/4t ground black pepper- 2T white vinegar
Puree 4T oil and the next 10 ingredients until smooth
Take 1/4C and wisk in a small bowl with balance of oil and vinegar plus more salt to taste and refrigerate for glaze later

Wow! Thanks for posting that recipe! I know homemade will be better than anything I buy in the store. I can't imagine I wouldn't like it. I think I'll try it as soon as possible.

Marty, does that marinade keep well, and about how much meat can I expect it to cover/season?

I regularly cook both.
I usually make my marinade from scratch, but have used the Walkerswood a few times when time is an issue.
For the meat, pork steaks, boned, and boneless, skinless thighs. Leave most of the fat, it'll render and what doesn't will be nice and crispy.
Hot fire, stay on top of it so it doesn't burn.
Try it, you'll be happy you did!

I regularly cook both.
I usually make my marinade from scratch, but have used the Walkerswood a few times when time is an issue.
For the meat, pork steaks, boned, and boneless, skinless thighs.
Try it, you'll be happy you did!

I'm talked into it, for sure. But I'm a little tired of pork for now, and I still have to make pulled pork over the holiday. Jerk chicken is on the menu, ASAP. Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Back