Wagyu beef at.......Walmart?

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Found these at the Walmart near my house the other day, 1lb package @ $4.99. Figured for that price why not, it's barely more than regular ground beef sells for at most places. I've actually been fairly impressed with that Walmart's beef selection, I got a pretty nicely marbled "angus" cowboy ribeye there on yellow tag special for $7.xx/lb a couple weeks back. I figured it was probably the same supplier that I get beef from Sam's through, just cheaper and better looking than what Sam's has had lately.

Anyhow, it may not be evident from the pics but the ground beef does appear to have a fairly high fat content that you'd expect from ground Wagyu beef. I'll be making burgers out of it tonight, probably mixing the 1/3lb patties together to make 1/2 pounders and will provide a full report at that time.

Attachments

• wagyu.jpg
    wagyu.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Not for me. I've seen the Son and DIL throw away far too much meat from our Walmarts.
Why they kept shopping there was a mystery to me.
I get much of my meats at Sam's Club, which is Walmart's red headed step child. Or at Costco, but our Costco is far too over crowded for this old fart to tolerate.

Just price out Wagyu Beef. That stuff is not ground wagyu.
And I flat out refuse to pay the price for waggy fat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Way.....69i57j0l5.5375j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

tenor.gif

Looks good Suds, interested to see how you like em.

Btw I have a good friend who is a plant manager for JBS, they sell to Sams/Walmart. Except for grading they each get their meat from the same warehouse.

I have seen posts on Facebook from several friends who have tried these and they all say that they are very good! It will be interesting to see what you think!

We keep all of the trimmings from our competition briskets (wagyu) and grind most of it and use it for burgers, meatloaf, etc. Wagyu brisket burgers are great!

Not for me. I've seen the Son and DIL throw away far too much meat from our Walmarts.
Why they kept shopping there was a mystery to me.
I get much of my meats at Sam's Club, which is Walmart's red headed step child. Or at Costco, but our Costco is far too over crowded for this old fart to tolerate.

Just price out Wagyu Beef. That stuff is not ground wagyu.
And I flat out refuse to pay the price for waggy fat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Way.....69i57j0l5.5375j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The key word there is "American". It's not Japanese Wagyu, which demands a much higher price. This is from Wagyu breed cattle, but from US-based farms. It is unlikely that they are grinding the premium cuts. More likely they are grinding trimmings and lesser demand cuts that allows them to price it this way.

Yeah...it goes without saying I am not expecting this to be ground A5 Japanese wagyu :thumb: it's "costs one dollar more per pound than ground chuck"

Thanks for the heads up, have never seen it at my closest wal-mart, but they have it in stock about 50 miles away. Next time I head that direction, I will be giving it a try. I have paid more than $4 a lb for the Marketside Grass Fed beef, which is also really good.

American Wagyu is generally wagyu cattle crossed with another breed. Generally Angus. It might not be Wagyu, but I assure you, Angus is some fine eating beef, in it's own right.

Wagyu and WallyMart... that may be the world’s biggest oxymoron. Welll, you get my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Normally I'm with you, and I've been to my fair share of Walmarts, but the one close to my house is pretty decent. They still have the ungraded normal Walmart fare, but they have choice angus and grass fed steaks, then these wagyu burgers. I can get some decent steaks there in a pinch, on par with what I'd find at Sam's (choice at least) which is a further drive.

As for these burgers, they were pretty tasty. Good reviews from the family. I ended up cooking them on the Blackstone griddle since we're getting a bunch of rain today, but I think I'd have preferred to do these on a charcoal grill. The fat/oil they released while cooking is consistent with the wagyu briskets I've cooked (the clear yellowish stuff), so I feel like they share some similar lineage at least. I ended up leaving them in the 1/3lb burger patties as packaged, they plumped up a good bit so maybe I should've at least flattened them out.

I'll definitely buy some again, next time I want to do the 1/2 pound patty on the Primo about medium doneness and see what I think then. For the price I'm satisfied.

Looks great! I wish my Walmart sold those. Doesnt matter the name as long as theyre tasty!

For those that shop at Walmart...is there a better day to find those YELLOW TAG specials?

I have looked randomly and not seen them.

I've found them twice on Friday mornings/lunch, but really I think it just depends how accurate they are at forecasting their demand and whether or not everything they put in the bins actually sells.

• Thanks
Reactions: scp
Normally I'm with you, and I've been to my fair share of Walmarts, but the one close to my house is pre

[esited by kds]

I'll definitely buy some again, next time I want to do the 1/2 pound patty on the Primo about medium doneness and see what I think then. For the price I'm satisfied.

If they ever show up at my local WallyWorld I’ll try ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now that....
Is a very well seasoned griddle!

I bet everything tastes better grilled on that. :icon_smile_tongue:

Believe it or not its only a few weeks old, though I have used it a good bit in that time :thumb:

Walmart has upped their game in the meat department. I can get beef short ribs, lamp chops and legs, full packers, oxtails, bison, etc. Not sure if that is everywhere but I'm impressed that they are challenging Kroger.

Back