• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Buttermilk chicken

Rib-O-Lator

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I marinated some drums in buttermilk overnight. some i rolled in everglades
pre-seasoned breading, some i rinsed and seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning, and the rest i cooked with just the buttermilk coating.

i cooked on the rol for about 45min at 325 and then introduced them to my belly.

i wasn't sure how the breaded ones would turn out put they came out crunchy and the seasoning was tasty.

the montreal chicken is always good and the buttermilk ones had a nice crispy texture to the skin and tasted good but tasted better after a little salt.

chicken coated with buttermilk
2012-12-29_11-28-02_HDR.jpg

Everglades breading
2012-12-29_11-37-03_HDR.jpg

Drums with Montreal steak seasoning
2012-12-29_12-17-54_HDR.jpg

Just buttermilk
2012-12-29_12-26-55_HDR.jpg

with breading
2012-12-29_12-36-05_HDR.jpg

Looks like another ferris wheel success! I love buttermilk marinated chix!

I'm in.....were is my plate? I really need to try that Ferris wheel. Make me an offer I can't refuse............:rolleyes: It has to make ribs more consistent just makes sense.......to me.:becky: But then I ain't right:biggrin1:

I'm in.....were is my plate? I really need to try that Ferris wheel. Make me an offer I can't refuse............:rolleyes: It has to make ribs more consistent just makes sense.......to me.:becky: But then I ain't right:biggrin1:

see my sales and ventures page.

Nicely cooked chicken, did the breading make a big difference?

I've kicked around the idea for fun with soaking baby backs in buttermilk and then adding the rub before smoking them. Has anyone tried this?

I've kicked around the idea for fun with soaking baby backs in buttermilk and then adding the rub before smoking them. Has anyone tried this?

I don't know that I'd want the acids in buttermilk breaking down my pork.

You know, kinda like buying the, "enhanced," ones. That's just me.

someone mentioned to first roll in seasoned flour then buttermilk then breading. i will give it a try next weekend and report back.

any other suggestions?

someone mentioned to first roll in seasoned flour then buttermilk then breading. i will give it a try next weekend and report back.

any other suggestions?
It could be like kfc (kettle fried chicken).
And finish the breading with butter to crisp if up.

Actually the sequence is dry then wet then dry again. Doesn't really matter if you're using a batter or an egg wash. For a crispier skin just egg wash then seasoned flour.

Haven't tried buttermilk, yet. Looks like I'll be adding it to the grocery list. They look great!

Chicken looks awesome :) something else to try.

Might actually prompt me to rouse the gas griller out of its prolonged hibernation.

Back