MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #31
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Not in reference to the post immediately above this, but I fear that people are making this more restrictive than I intended. Again, Lesser Known NOT Unknown.

Organs are fine with me. But I seriously had in mind something as simple as Pork Sirloin. I'm still not particularly sure what that is. It is a lesser known cut - at least to me. So, feel free to get all funky with organs or exotic animals, but also don't be afraid to cook up a cut of pork or beef that just isn't as popular. That is really what I intended. I'm sorry if I didn't express that to Biggie and get it into the first post.
I was just in a thread where you suggested that ribs could be entered in the lesser known meats TD. You really are opening this one up! Well, I'll be giving bonus points to cuts (or meats) that I haven't cooked.

Of course I'll also be deducting points for things like offal and fish heads.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #32
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I was just in a thread where you suggested that ribs could be entered in the lesser known meats TD. You really are opening this one up! Well, I'll be giving bonus points to cuts (or meats) that I haven't cooked.

Of course I'll also be deducting points for things like offal and fish heads.
Yeah. I sort of am. But it was also never the intent to have totally unknown exotic cuts/animals only. I don't want this to be impossible. It bothers me that people may possibly get to discouraged trying to find some exotic animal or unknown cut.

As for Ron's beef ribs. I just posted a follow-up there too. I've been coming around these parts for almost two years now. I don't ever recall seeing beef ribs cut like that. So, to me that makes it a Lesser Known Cut. And as a fall back, while a lot of people do cook beef ribs, based on the pron posted it is probably 100 to 1 pork vs. beef ribs. That to me also makes it a Lesser Known. This is a chance for all those other cuts of meats that don't get all the prime time love.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Not in reference to the post immediately above this, but I fear that people are making this more restrictive than I intended. Again, Lesser Known NOT Unknown.

Organs are fine with me. But I seriously had in mind something as simple as Pork Sirloin. I'm still not particularly sure what that is. It is a lesser known cut - at least to me. So, feel free to get all funky with organs or exotic animals, but also don't be afraid to cook up a cut of pork or beef that just isn't as popular. That is really what I intended. I'm sorry if I didn't express that to Biggie and get it into the first post.
This is a common problem when choosing any TD topic. You just never expect where it's gonna go, and what people might do with it. Perfect case in point was the "Man Size TD" Rules were that there was to be no fowl, but I didn't read that and turned in these massive Turkey thighs and got DQ'd. Not that it mattered, it was all fun and we had a great time calling them "Velociraptors" instead. But anyway the thing is when you set rules, you can't envisage how they could adversely impact on an otherwise perfectly good entry. SO I like this answer. Keep it open and see what happens and we'll all get a surprise...

I'm assuming any cut of lamb will be good right!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I have a pork butt that was cut so the fat cap is on the top. I think I'm going to give that a shot.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
I have a pork butt that was cut so the fat cap is on the top. I think I'm going to give that a shot.
Are you going to cook it like a brisket?
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #36
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Are you going to cook it like a brisket?
C'mon Moose, that's a whole 'nother category.

... but if it were cut like a brisket....

Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #37
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

I had an idea, but since regular TD rules apply and it has to be grilled or smoked I guess this is out...

(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #38
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
This is a common problem when choosing any TD topic. You just never expect where it's gonna go, and what people might do with it. Perfect case in point was the "Man Size TD" Rules were that there was to be no fowl, but I didn't read that and turned in these massive Turkey thighs and got DQ'd. Not that it mattered, it was all fun and we had a great time calling them "Velociraptors" instead. But anyway the thing is when you set rules, you can't envisage how they could adversely impact on an otherwise perfectly good entry. SO I like this answer. Keep it open and see what happens and we'll all get a surprise...

I'm assuming any cut of lamb will be good right!

Cheers!

Bill
I think that's a slightly different situation. There are no special rules for this one, but we still would like it to be sufficiently lesser-known to satisfy most voters. What he's saying is that it (probably almost certainly) wouldn't get DQ'ed, but the voters should respect the category. Yes, you can submit ribs and it could be the best-looking ribs in the world, but I don't know how many voters would say that's just not "lesser known" enough to satisfy me. It's a very subjective category.

I was really sad to see your velociraptors DQ'ed. That just didn't make any sense to me at all. The special rules restricted creativity and sapped the fun out of these. To me that was a sad chapter that I am hoping is behind us.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #39
Moose

Quote:
C'mon Moose, that's a whole 'nother category.

... but if it were cut like a brisket....
It is, Gore, but who says you can't enter BOTH TD's with your pork butt cooked like a brisket? That would be totally epic.

Last edited by Moose; 02-01-2012 at 01:49 AM..
Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #40
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
I had an idea, but since regular TD rules apply and it has to be grilled or smoked I guess this is out...

Quite right. That particular dish is "chilled" and would not qualify.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #41
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Some good choices, tongue, brains, eyeballs and testicles.
In other words, hot dogs.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #42
Moose

Is anyone even going to enter this TD? I thought we might have seen some entries by now...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #43
bigabyte

Are funky meats well known?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #44
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Are funky meats well known?
Rocky Mountain Oysters are quite well known, and certainly very high in funk factor.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #45
SKA BBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post

Anyone know what kind of meat this is?
Gooey duck?

Tags
grilled ass, has anybody seen the bridge?, Jumped the what?, lesser meat cant be beat, Long Pork Burnt Ends, Mystery Meat, Pole sausage, What is it?, Who smoked Biggie's pole?, You Smoked What ?