MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default FBA Cookoff at Wauchula, FL

I judged the Chillin' & Grillin' cookoff in downtown Wauchula, FL, this past saturday. Good event - I think it was 32 or 33 teams (first year event) and they shut down Main Street and all the competitors and vendors were set up in the street.

Woodhouse Grill to Grand Champion and HomeBBQ.com took Reserve. I love both these teams but damn I wish I could figure out what they do. Woodhouse has dominated since last August and HomeBBQ.com is the FL team of the year the last two years! Good folks all.

The meat at my table was mediocre to good. One chicken entry was real nasty, and none of the other meats were "10" by any stretch. Now, that's just at our table. There were a lot of brand new teams and it showed.

One poor team turned in brisket for the pork entry -- can you say "zero" all the way across. Another pork entry at another table was undercooked - again, straight "zero" for that entry.

The ribs we got were edible but some just barely - LOTS of sauce so I don't know if that's the trend of just an anomoly here at a new event with new teams.

I'm going over to Winter Haven next weekend for another inaugural event. I'm hoping to judge but if not I'll hang and smooze for a few hours. I'm looking at a potential cooker and Bill and the Dixie Chicks use it - I missed seeing it this weekend but did have an adult beverage or two with them and some other teams Saturday evening.

Lot's of fun - heck a bad day at a cookoff is better than a good day at work! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Great post David.

You are right--Woodhouse and HomeBBQ have the MOJO working

Be interesting to see how Winter Haven goes.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

Great post David.

You mentioned that the pork was undercooked. Does pork have to be cooked "well done" to be BBQ? Everytime I hear a chef on TV or radio talk about cooking pork now a days. they say you should cook pork to "medium rare." For pulled pork, yeah it's cooked well past the "medium rare" stage, but would medium rare slices still be considered BBQ? Would it win?
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Great post David.

You mentioned that the pork was undercooked. Does pork have to be cooked "well done" to be BBQ? Everytime I hear a chef on TV or radio talk about cooking pork now a days. they say you should cook pork to "medium rare." For pulled pork, yeah it's cooked well past the "medium rare" stage, but would medium rare slices still be considered BBQ? Would it win?
Rob,

I had the same passing thought.
But, the FBA is very hesitant to DQ and actually likes high scoring.
I saw chicken DQ'ed at Minneola. Actual visible blood.

I imagine that the pork was clearly "not done to a safe level" to warrant a DQ.

Just being undercooked (like to a "need to slice, can't pull" level) would have been left to the judges to score, not DQ'ed.

DF will be home from work shortly and give the real answer--I am just bored for a minute

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Solidkick

Thanks for sharing DF!!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

David
Which of Bill's cookers are you looking at?
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
spicewine
Babbling Farker

David : Don't forget to look for Jimmy Brod at the Feb. 25th contest. He will have one of my new smokers with a Guru attachment. It will be light metal flake silver with dark gray metal flake flames. He plans to be the Florida Distributer for us. He goes by the name of smokin' cracker. Let me know if you see him.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #8
chad

The meat was clearly undercooked - the juice and blood seperated in the box - when the rep went over to the team the quote was "we thought it was undercooked but decided to submit it anyway" - they sliced it.

Spice I'll definately look for your cooker. I probably won't make it to Okeechobee (Anne's on-call and I'm going to Mobile the next following weekend). The thought of one of your cookers with the Guru is definately percolating. You'll be going head-to-head with Stump's (www.stumpssmokers.com) insulated cookers so it ought to be an interesting comparision.

Jim - I'm looking hard at the Caldera del Fuego - portable, etc. Hopefully I'll see it working at Winter Haven. Right now I think Bill and Nina like it better than the FE. I'm looking hard for something to get me into better position for catering - competition too but I need more volume and overnight "unattended" cooks for catering. Heck, my WSM gets the job done for competition.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 02-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

I am going to buy an FE once I get the catering business started up in Colorado. I cherish my sleep. I cannot blame you one bit Dave.

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
chad

Speaking of Fast Eddie and Cookshack cookers: I didn't realize until last weekend that they use the Traeger auger/pellet system (at least in some models). I don't know why I was surprised - I guess I thought their system was proprietary.

I'm not knocking it - just a bit of trivia that most of us don't know and the rest don't care! :D

When I walked up Bill and Nina Saturday afternoon I noticed pellets (look like light brown rabbit turds :D) all over the area. Nina said that the FE had gone berserk and was spitting out the pellets - she'd had to put a lit charcoal briquette into the chamber to light off the pellets.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:38 AM   #11
Jorge

Default Split thread

As the debate about pellet cookers started to dominate the thread I split it at DFLittle's request and agreed with the reasoning. The new thread can be found here http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...ewtopic&t=5127

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #12
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Dave,

Bill and Nina are real good friends of mine. I didn't here about that disaster. Each contest I look forward to either Bill or Nina to tell me what adventures they had, with whatever cooker. :D
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #13
chad

She was laughing about it!

The pellets were all over the "rug" in front of the RV and I just couldn't resist commenting! I think Bill said they were going to be a Mobile - I'm hoping to get a look at the Caldera cooker - more for catering than competition :D

The more I participate in cookoffs (judging or cooking) the better I like them. Great people and there is ALWAYS something to learn.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:28 PM   #14
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

They both have a great sense of humor... Great people. I always look forward to seeing them.
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote