Honey Sriracha Glazed Tofu Planwich w/ Apple Slaw and Corn with Sriracha Mayo

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was challenged to cook up something without meat. It needed to include Tofu, :twitch: Apple, Corn and Sriracha. I must admit I’ve never made tofu and hardly ever eat it. That may change after eating this dish.

I started thinking about what I could make and came up with some ways I could use all these ingredients in in a dish. Sriracha was easy as I use it quite often. Corn? No problem here either. Apples gave me a slight pause but then I thought of using it in a slaw so I was good.

No, tofu was the problem, so I thought about tofu and what it’s like. It’s like a geometrically shaped meat substitute. Kind of like Spam but without actual any meat. So how do I normally use Spam? Well I don’t use it very often but when I do it’s normally in a sandwich. A tofu sandwich didn’t sound like a winner but then I remembered seeing something on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives where the cook used plantains as the bread which I’m dubbing the “Planwich”.

Plantains instead of bread. Link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/il/chicago/the-jibarito-stop-restaurant.html

Now that was the ticket and I also decided to use Sriracha in all 3 dishes. The first thing I did was prepare the tofu.

Now I don’t know much about tofu but I do know that you need to get the moisture out of it so it can soak up whatever seasoning / marinate your using on it. I drained the liquid off and then sliced it up.

Next I placed the slices on a double layer of paper towels

and covered with another layer.

I then placed a 9 x 13 pan on top and pressed down to push more of the liquid out. (Note: I did this twice as the paper towels were completely soaked the first time)

Next I made up a Sriracha Honey Marinade. Here are the ingredients.

Stirred.

I spread out some marinade on a 1/4 sheet, placed on the tofu and then covered each piece with the rest of the marinade.

I covered this with foil and let it take a nice long rest. Next I went about making the bread for my Planwich. I took a plantain

and cut the ends off and peeled it.

I cut it in 2 and fried them in some preheated oil.

I then placed them on a plate with some paper towels to cool. I then took them and smashed them with a large smooth bottom pan.

and then fried each one again. (Like a tostones)

I then placed each one on a plate with some paper towels to cool.

I then made up my Mexican Slaw using the apple in lieu of the jicama. (Link to recipe: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206465)

Apple cut and cored

and then grated.

Everybody in the pool

and then stirred up with some Sriracha Cilantro Lime Creama.

Now I took the tofu out to the grill.

I placed them on my searing grate. (Note: I would have set it up differently but I was going to make pizza afterwards so that was why it’s set up this way. As it turned out, I didn’t have time for the pizza.:cry:)

After approximately 10 minutes it looked like this.

I look it off the grill and on to a plate so I could now glaze them.

I took what was left of the marinade and added some more honey, Sriracha and ponzu sauce and pour it onto a hot griddle and let it start to caramelize.

Placed all the tofu pieces in the sauce and let it cook for 1 minute.

I flipped them and repeated for another minute and here is what they looked like.

I sliced up some tomato and red onion

and made up some Sriracha mayo.

I took one of the plantain slices and spread on the mayo

and placed on the tofu

and then the tomato, onion and some lettuce.

And finally I made up the Mexican Street Corn (Esquites) with Sriracha Mayo (Using Sriracha instead of Chipotle)

Here’s a YouTube video of a street cart vendor serving some up.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z8YvggQ-Us"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z8YvggQ-Us[/ame]

Here’s my corn.

I took 3 ears like this and cut off the kernels.

I added 3 tbsp. of butter and 1/2 cup of finely chopped cilantro and stirred.

As my 90 year old MIL was also eating this I took my serving and mixed in the balance of the Sriracha mayo that I had made up. (No Sriracha for her)

Here is everything plated up with a Negro Modelo.

This did not suck! In fact it was absolutely delicious and I would definitely make this again.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for looking.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Nice job DerHusker

Being a tofu fan I can more than understand how good that is. Now, is there any way I/we can have the recipe for the slaw? That looks killer. Thanks. Jon

I'm kinda slow unless everything is spelled out for me. What is in that AWESOME looking corn besides the cilantro and butter??

This is a box [], and this is you :). WAY outside of the box thinking! Nice work!
Thank you greenmountain. They let me out every once in a while.
5be854bd500b0e4421fb6255817f8ec8.jpg

I'm kinda slow unless everything is spelled out for me. What is in that AWESOME looking corn besides the cilantro and butter??
Thank you Dan. After I mixed in the butter, cilantro and Sriracha mayo I put it in the serving dish. I then topped it with some queso fresco, cayenne pepper and a little more cilantro.

Back