Backwoods Party

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For competition level use what opinions does anyone have about using a Backwoods Party? This would be the original Party aka Gen 1. Are they adequate, too small, etc?

I used a G2 party along with a G2 chubby and that extra depth it great in the G2. What else do you have to cook with?

You certainly could cook with a regular party. I've tested one out. Just can't do full pans and bigger briskets would be a challenge. But with people trimming down briskets and butts, along with ribs for that matter, I don't see any issue.

I have been competing with a G2 party and a WSM for several years. I put two briskets, two pans of chicken and 4 racks of robs in the backwoods and two butts in the WSM. If you cut back on the ribs or cook one brisket, you can fit a butt or two in the backwoods and do it all on one cooker. I love that smoker!

BW Party is a great smoker. It would be a challenge to get all 4 meats in there comfortably but you could arrange your timeline to make it work.

Getting a G2 would make a big difference as stated above. Or just adding a 22 wsm for more room.

We compete with an 18 & 22 WSM and do fine.

I have a 22" WSM and a drum smoker. I thought about adding a cabinet style smoker because it sure seems like they provide more consistent temps especially for long cooks.

Back