UDS Basket Question

Little Mike

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all, building my first UDS and have a design/cook time question I'm hoping you all can help me with. After much reading I have purchased all the parts and mocked up my basket. Using a Weber charcoal grate (17" in diameter), a 16x2" cake pan for an ash catcher, and two pieces of the Home Depot 12x24" expanded metal for the basket itself. Incorporated a rod with eye bolt for lifting in and out. Here's what I believe my possible issues are going to be with the rest of the build. I'm planning on using a dome lid with the aluminum flat mod for increased room on the top rack. I'm wanting to add a second rack below that and a place for a diffuser below that lower into the drum. The coal basket, in it's current configuration, between the bolt heads used to attach the coal grate to the ash pan, the ash pan itself, coal grate, basket and eye bolt it stands at approximately 16.6" tall and 15.5" around (basket itself is 12" high by 15.5" around). I'm building this primarily for long cooks like brisket and butts and am afraid that if I cut the basket shorter to make adequate room for the two grates and diffuser that I'll negate my main reason for building one and won't get a long enough cook time out of a load of coal. So, for those more well versed on UDS smokers than myself, how long of a burn are you getting out of a load of coal in your basket and what are it's dimensions.

I've included a picture of my mocked up basket. I was also think that if I CAN cut down the height of the basket that I can add a little more space between the ash pan and coal grate for better airflow.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Mike

Attachments

• coal basket.jpg
    coal basket.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 197
My basket is probably two thirds that height and it works great, and I would add a little space between the basket and ash catcher for airflow. For a test before you cut the basket, dump a bag of charcoal in it and see where it ends up. I can cook for 20 hours on one bag of kingsford if you are worried about cooktime.

You are asking the million dollar question. You are wanting to build "...this primarily for long cooks like brisket and butt." I don't think that you can run on the lower rack for low and slow. You are directly over heat. And, these cookers like to run 275-300+ happily.

Long story short... If you're trying to cook briskets and butts on the lower rack (low and slow)... It's probably not going to happen..... unless... you have a cooker designed to do so.

My basket is made from one piece of 24x24 cut into thirds, so a nominal 8" high and I've always had plenty of fuel left after cooking a brisket.

If I had a basket that tall, I'd probably cut a slot in the diffuser so it slips over the eyebolt and sits on top of the basket.

Thanks for the quick responses and good info/suggestions. Since patrickd26 mentioned distance from heat source, that's just one of the things I'm trying to take into consideration during the build so as to correct or avoid problems down the line. That's why I've decided to go with a dome lid. To get the protein farther away and then add the diffuser to hopefully help some more. The dual racks near the top, the lower of the 2 will probably not be any farther than 8 maybe 9" inches from the top of the drum, is for if I decide to try several racks of ribs on it or a bunch of wings...or something.

Please keep the suggestions and info coming. It's all appreciated!

Like mentioned, a 17" weber coal grate, 6" high expanded metal sides is all you will need for 15+ hr cooks. Even in single digit temps. But that is with the expanded metal attached to the outer edges of the 17" grate. Not a couple inches smaller in dia like your photo. So your basket would have to be a bit taller.
4" legs on your coal basket if you use briquettes and don't want the ash choking out the coals on the long cooks.
If you plan on 2 cooking grates and a diffuser/drip pan grate. I'd suggest you only use thru bolts for the diffuser grate above the coal basket.
Both cooking grates stand on each other or the diffuser grate. Original design was N8man. Works great. Grates go straight in/out without having to tip.Like with regular built UDSs.
I used 3/8"X6" bolts/washers/nuts as legs on the cooking grates. Easy to rotate, you can stand/set the grates down without setting on the ground.
Just a thought.

Attachments

• diffuser2.jpg
    diffuser2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 161
  • cook grates.jpg
    cook grates.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 4 butts UDS (1).jpg
    4 butts UDS (1).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Use 3 racks, and put one closer to the fire. This closer to fire rack should hold a heat deflected of some sort, like the pizza pan above. This makes sure the heat moves around the drum. I have used disposable aluminum pans for this as well. The other 2 racks will not have any issues for long cooks. I would temp probe the middle rack and set the temp you want for the middle rack.

My UDS basket is the charcoal grate from a 22.5" grill with 12" high expanded metal attached around the edge. This sits on 4" carriage bolts in a cheap tabletop grill(without the legs), I use the grate from this covered with foil as a diffuser. I used adjustable shelf mounting and brackets for 2 cooking grates.

Thanks for all the sage advice so far. Already modified the coal basket. Took 4" off the top, shortened the stance beneath the ash pan and added to the gap between the top of the pan and the bottom of the coal grate, and used the 4" of expanded metal from the top to increase the diameter and have it wrap around the outside edge of the coal grate. That puts the bottom of the grate about 3" off the bottom of the drum with about an inch between the top of the pan and the grate. May even drill a few holes along the perimeter of the pan to increase air flow even more.

Anyone know how close you can put the diffuser to the top of the basket before it becomes a point of restriction that would risk snuffing the coals?

Instead of using an eye bolt for the rod, I used a piece of 1/2" pipe. Then welded a short piece of round stock to the bottom of an older, small wok-like pan that I found at the salvage yard. Easy to install or remove, and when I'm not running it I just stick a flange bolt in the top of the pipe to avoid any grease getting inside the pipe. But looks like you might be past that point. If I were running an eye bolt like yours I'd probably make up some sort of spider leg arrangement on the bottom of a pan and rest it on top of the coals?...but that's provided you have a welder and can visualize what I'm getting at. Or you could suspend it from above, but that might get a bit unstable. I'm rambling now, but hope some of that might help!

I'd ditch the cake pan and swap in a pizza pan for the ash catcher to make cleaning easier. With pizza pan you just shake, shake, shake and you're done. Also looks like it would increase air flow.

I'd ditch the cake pan and swap in a pizza pan for the ash catcher .....

Thanks. Now that's it's built I've kind of had that same thought. I may end up doing that down the road a bit but after what it took to track this down (as in I had to get the wife involved because Hell if I knew where to get a cake pan this size) a change this soon may result in me getting...."The Look" :wacko:

Back