MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Patio Size

Was thinking of doing a 26x24 slab and doing 16x24 roof. To give me a 10x24 area with sun, and the rest covered. Now I will have to do a couple stairs down to a 4ft x3ft landing then a step down to the patio so there goes some space.. I have ys640, 2 pizza ovens, xl BGE, Blackstone 36, and a 4 burner Weber Genesis. Patio furniture now, and someday hopefully counters and cabinets.

Am I way too small?
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

That oughta work........

Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
HDCTX
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : 10502 Spice Ridge Row

I would think about water and electric needs before you pour.
My patio is about 18x22. I have a six top, a smoker and a grill, and when you add walking space, I really don't have room for much else.
16x24 under roof gives you room for a dining set and a seating area. All your equipment will be on the open patio. If your budget allows, pour more patio. You can always add more roofing later.
HDCTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
JacksBBQ
Take a breath!

I think it will probably be big enough. I've got kind of a T shaped patio with a 14x10 slab that extends off the house and connects to a 26x16 slab.I've got my LSG vertical offset, pizza oven, blackstone, genesis, and kettle all on it. They are lined up against both the 16 ft sides of the big slab and then I've got my patio table and stuff kind of in the middle. Im thinking about building a patio cover on the 30x16 part that would be 16x16 leaving 4 ft sticking out at each end. The 14x10 part would also remain uncovered. Ill try and take some pictures this weekend so you can at least get an idea of what the cookers look like.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

That's pretty big, but I would say if you think that's what you need, go a little bigger anyways if you have space. For some reason that concrete will shrink after a couple of years. lol

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
That's pretty big, but I would say if you think that's what you need, go a little bigger anyways if you have space. For some reason that concrete will shrink after a couple of years. lol
We don’t all collect grills and smokers at the rate you do!

Heck if you count the Lang 84 and attached grill as one unit, I have only 4 cookers collected in 20 years. One trailer mounted offset, 2 small kettle grills (2x37” Weber Ranch), and one mini kamado (Pit Boss K24). A perfectly sane and reasonable amount of cooking space for a family of 4 right?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Agree with the others, go bigger if you can, patios are like gun safes in that you wish you had gone bigger.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #8
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

Space is the one thing I got a lot of....

Old 01-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
MattGoose
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
Was thinking of doing a 26x24 slab and doing 16x24 roof. To give me a 10x24 area with sun, and the rest covered. Now I will have to do a couple stairs down to a 4ft x3ft landing then a step down to the patio so there goes some space.. I have ys640, 2 pizza ovens, xl BGE, Blackstone 36, and a 4 burner Weber Genesis. Patio furniture now, and someday hopefully counters and cabinets.

Am I way too small?
We have a rectangular fire pit and 6 chairs around it and they eat up the majority of our patio which is roughly 16' x 20'.

They are big chairs, and they are well spaced around the fire pit (not interested in pushing in/pulling out every time we want to use it), so we could definitely shrink down a bit.

We looked at adding stairs from the porch down to the patio, but even a small set of stairs was going to eat a ton of space.

When we were designing patio and picking furniture we built and played around with some scale model stuff, which gave a much better idea of spacing. We ended up just maxing out the available patio space.

I'm not sure anyone has ever wished for a smaller patio. I'd still like it if ours were bigger.
MattGoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

https://www.sketchup.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgKKpPD_BwE

This is a free cad software that is supposed to be very user friendly.
I haven't used it personally, but have seen quite a few examples of spaces drawn by folks with no CAD experience.
It would give you the opportunity to see the space in 3-D.
Hope it helps!

Old 01-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
JacksBBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffettFan View Post
https://www.sketchup.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgKKpPD_BwE

This is a free cad software that is supposed to be very user friendly.
I haven't used it personally, but have seen quite a few examples of spaces drawn by folks with no CAD experience.
It would give you the opportunity to see the space in 3-D.
Hope it helps!
I used this when planning out my patio. Wasn't the most intuitive piece of software I've ever used but it's free and it made it fairly easy to sketch out my space and then measure the foot print for all my cookers and make boxes that represented them to see how the space would look.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys. I tried to use that Sketchup for a garage build but I didn't give it enough time to figure it out. I will take another look at it.

Sounds like I need to go bigger anyways....the concrete is the cheap part. Could always add more roof later if needed i suppose.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
We don’t all collect grills and smokers at the rate you do!

Heck if you count the Lang 84 and attached grill as one unit, I have only 4 cookers collected in 20 years. One trailer mounted offset, 2 small kettle grills (2x37” Weber Ranch), and one mini kamado (Pit Boss K24). A perfectly sane and reasonable amount of cooking space for a family of 4 right?
Absolutely. lol. In fact, you might want to add a few...ya know, just so nobody in the family starves. lol

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #14
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

I've got a 14' x 7' covered area that looked huge when I was building it but it got cozy quick with Blackstone 36", Rec-Tec Bull, UDS and Weber Performer.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote