Super Bowl Food Ideas

Mike in Roseville

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Beyond chicken wings and ABT's...I need some ideas. Normally I do wings, little smokey sausages, chips/dip, etc. (and I know you can jazz up wings and make them absolutely bangin') I just want to see if there are some proven brethren recipes out there.

We are hosting, so my wife insists I don't stay outside cooking all day...lol. That's code for "quick and easy" for prep and for cooking.

I had half a mind to do a brisket on Saturday and save the point for "burnt ends" for Super Bowl. Maybe use the flat meat for some chili in the slow cooker?

Thanks!

I'm going to try a new recipe for cheesesteak nachos. It looks really good and I think I can prep most of the stuff before the party starts. Then quick assembly and bake.

For a guaranteed hit and super easy appetizer, Moink balls. Costco meatballs wrapped in a half piece of bacon and stick together with a toothpick, dust with BBQ rub, put in smoker and glaze with a sweet and sticky sauce after bacon crisps up, and done!

Hog wings have gone over really well and they are simple. I have done a taco bar in the past with chipotle chicken, barbacoa beef, and chile verde pork. This year I am doing brisket chili and pork belly burnt ends.

I like to smoke potato boats and sweet potato boats and grill some cheese cubes, wrapped in beef strips, wrapped in bacon.

Super Bowl is generally a two day deal for me.

For Saturday, buying a sack of oysters. I am not the most experienced Oyster shucker, but I have a simple system. The ones that are not difficult, I shuck and eat raw. The ones that are difficult, I throw on the smoker for a while. Nothing better.

For game day, pig shots most likely for appetizers. Tri tip, pork ribs or beef ribs for main course depending on what looks good at the market. If weather is bad, will make a pot of chili

We're thinking about doing a taco/nacho bar for Super Bowl parties. Smoke pulled pork and chicken, then set out all the fixin's with tortillas, tortilla chips, cheese sauce, etc. that people can set up at their house and munch on through the festivities. I think it would work good for just about any party.

Last year I did a brisket but took it to where I could pull it easily for ease of eating. Worked out great as everyone could make little sandwiches or just eat it with a fork. Rounded this out with pork belly burnt ends and wings in different sauces. Chips too, of course.

A staple of our parties for anything has been the Aidels (?)pineapple meatballs in the crock pot with some sort of teriyaki-type of sauce. They sell them in a large pack at Costco.

Suggestions for items that can be prepared the day ahead so you're not spending your entire Sunday tending the grill(s).

Mac n Cheese
Meatballs, served as is or as subs or sliders
Sausage and Peppers/Onions
Stuffed Mushrooms
Toasted Ravioli
Stuffed Shells
Parmesan Potato Stacks
Grilled Ham

Obviously, some of these are outside the realm of BBQ, but make for great party menu items. I'm thinking of what I normally serve at events like this, if Mac n Cheese isn't on the menu my guests are disappointed. I've pretty much made all of these, depends on my mood and whatever "theme" I dream up for the gathering (BBQ, Italian, Greek, Mexican, Burgers and Dogs, etc. )

-Dom

Build Your Own Frito Pie

Got a wally world with frozen red chile nearby? Bueno Autumn Roast is our favorite... We like 1 quart mild, 1 pint mild, 1 pint hot. YMMV...

Smoke 2 lbs pork stew meat in enough thawed red chile to cover - I've used a dutch oven, or a throw away aluminum foil pan. Get to 120F or so in the smoker, then off to the crockpot with the balance of the chile. Onion powder, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, black pepper, cumin for spices. Cook until the pork can be mashed with a fork. We don't salt until the end - If it's bitter, add kosher salt as required.

Buffet service with fritos, chopped lettuce, chopped onion, chopped tomato, shredded cheese (Tillamook Extra Sharp cheddar works well).
Sour cream will knock down the heat for those with sensitive palates.

Mesquite smoke will take you towards chipotle, hickory with apple is nice as well.

I smoke the pork the afternoon / evening before, crockpot overnight on low for brunch or late lunch. You could hold the smoked pork overnight in the fridge and start the crockpot in the morning for later service.

Back