1st. Cook On "Mini" UDS (pron)

MTHank

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Completed my 1st. cook on a UDS, used aluminum foil mod as a baffle due to the short 16 inch distance from fire and grill.

"Aluminum foil" MOD :?: "BAD IDEA" :shock:

And not needed, it held the temps down and I had ball valve wide open to get 225 temp. Pulled the foil and temps shot up to 375 :eek:. Closed the ball valve down to about 1/3 and got the temp back down and the short grate/fire distance was OK. No problem and held 225 rock solid. I am still impressed with UDS, the temp. control and the amount of Kingsford used for the 3 - 2 - 1 method on both the shoulder and the fattie with apple juice on the 2 hour part.

I built a 2nd. "Mini" UDS today to give to a friend :biggrin:. I am going to get everything else I need to build a full size UDS... SOON :biggrin:.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 547
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 533
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 529
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 526
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 518
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 520
Outstanding Results..Thanks for Sharing

So there was no issue with excess burning on the bottom of your food with the short distance?

More constuction pic's please, is that a smokey joe top??? What size is the barrel? 20-30 gallon???

Thats it i'm building one.

Is that a Pork Loin? What's on it?

Looks tasty.

It is a fresh "Boneless Pork Shoulder" roast I get from the local pig farm here. With my limited ablity for rubs, I got "pre-packaged" rub/coating from Costco. Kirkland brand... "Parmesan & Herb Encrusting Blend". It has a very mild and good smell to it. It also has a very good flavor but next time I won't coat as heavy, it did over power the mild pork flavor. Learning MOD!

So there was no issue with excess burning on the bottom of your food with the short distance?

No problem with burning on the bottom, I did the 3 - 2 - 1 method so that may have helped and I don't build a big fire. Fire basket is about 12" Dia. and about 5" high. I don't think I put 5 lbs. of charcoal in the basket with a chunk of apple, I had about 2/3 of the charcoal left after 5 hours. I also kept temps down to about 225.

More constuction pic's please, is that a smokey joe top??? What size is the barrel? 20-30 gallon???

Yup... That's a Smokie Joe lid and it fits like a glove. I rescued two of them from "Freecycle" local here. It is a 16 gallon barrel. It is just my wife and I so I don't smoke huge amounts of meat at any one time and the size of the barrel turned out to be just right.

I built a second one yesterday (giving to a friend) but I put one grill about 1 inch lower and a second one 2 inches from the top rim. The fact I had no issue with burning is why I put a second grill a bit lower.

It sure worked well for me Dr_KY :biggrin: But it was my first try with any kind/size UDS :shock: Might have been beginners luck :!: I have ideas for "MODS" to this one already. :idea:

I'm going to the 'office' right now to grab a drum. Thanks for the info. :cool:

Right I have the drum so tomorrow I'm off to find a lid and build a basket.

Fine looking job Mt.Hank, what size barrel is that?

Food looks just fine to me, congrats on your first build and sucessfull cook on your UDS.

huh interesting. so you were able to get 16 from fire and grill. hmm. i wonder if this will work for bigger sized UDS's. Mine is 17 inches from top of fire. That drum is 27 inches high right?

Very good job. Thanks for posting info about not needing foil.

Nice build on the Mini UDS ! These little critters are getting me itchin to build one ! I was at Swamprb's Metro BBQ Haven today, and got to look at them 15 Gallon size ! with the Smokey Joe lid's, Swamp made his about 9" high on the grate, total with the Smokey Joe lid, that would do most Beer Can Chick's, That size can be very Contagious ! I might go with a 30 gallon and see if the weber 18" inch kettle grill will fit that barrel hope somebody chimes in, I'd like to know ?

Back