MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Big Frank
Full Fledged Farker

Default Thermometer in weber kettle

Has anybody installed a thermometer in the lid of a kettle. Would it help when your cooking with indirect heat ?

Thanks Frank
22" weber
Weber Genesis S-330
Camerons Stovetop Smoker
Super-Fast Splash-Proof[COLOR="Red"] RED[/COLOR] Thermapen
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B] [I] Imbas Certified MOINK Baller [/B][/I]
[/COLOR][/FONT]
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Big Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

My performer's already got one, but my brother put one of the Wally World grill thermos in the lid of his OTS and he loves it. I would have done it to mine, but I just switch lids if needed.

It definitely helps so you don't have to keep peeking at an oven thermometer on longer cooks. You just have to know the grill. I mean, just because the lid thermo says 250 doesn't necessarily mean that it's 250 at the grate. Just do some tests to verify. But, it definitely works great.

I think he bought a lid thermo at Wal-Mart for like $15-20.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

In all honesty I have never even used a therm in my kettle. I only use it to do quick burn cooks. I think I only used the kettle once to make ribs and once to make pork loins. My wsm or my gasser are used when I'm really trying to control the temps. Good idea non the less. Vince

Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I put one in a kettle lid a few years back. It keeps ya from peeking inside. I bought mine at a local hardware store for cheap.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Brown it's cookin', black it's done"....................Dad. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......:shocked:[/FONT]
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Yes I put one on mine, but use a oven thermometer for the grill also.
Paulmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
swamprb

I got a Weber OTS from another cook that installed a Tel-Tru in the lid of this one. He mounted it to the Right of the handle near the center of the lid. I used a stainless steel hole plug and mounted a WSM thermo opposite the vent. I use this setup on my Cajun Bandit Kettle Conversion

The WSM thermo is kinda useless for grilling temps, so I drilled out the stainless hole plug and mounted a Genesis grill thermo in its place. You can barely make it out in this pic here.

They are fairly accurate, off 5*-10* until they both stabilize and then they run pretty much on the money.

I would order a thermo and bezel for a Summit grill if you want a clean look, otherwise Tel-Tru makes Weber replacement thermos for a few $$'s more and they are calibratable. BBQ Guru has a vent plug thermo that some people seem to like, and its removable.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

I stick one down the vent on the lid..works good... One day I might make a permeant installation maybe at grate level...

Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Dim
Got Wood.

an old thread, but I thought that I will comment for anyone who wishes to add a thermometer to their kettle lid

I placed my thermometer near the bottom (close to the grid), and on the opposite side of the top vent

it works ok, was cheap and gives me an indication of whats happening inside

if I were to do it again, I would add the thermometer on the same side as the top vent (and not on the opposide side)

this then allows the smoke to be drawn over the meat and not directly up and out of the vent (make the fire on the opposite side of the top vent.... i.e. your vent and thermometer is near the meat)
Dim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
Tom Sr
Got Wood.

Default Thermometers

I have installed thermometers in both my ranch kettle and my 22 OTS. I installed them just above the lip on the cover to get them as close to my
grill so I could view the real cooking temp.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

I Installed a Tel-Tru in my OTG, I think it helps.

PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Default The cheap/dirty/poor man's mod.

I use a Maverick now, but before I got it(and sometimes still) I would use a candy thermometer(5" probe) in the exhaust vent of the kettle. I place the probe between clip used to attach it to a cook pot/deep fryer so that the probe's readings aren't off because it's touching the kettle lid directly.

I know it's not super accurate, but if you cross reference it to an oven thermo at grill level a few times, you can compensate for the difference in readings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thermo.jpg (91.1 KB, 283 views)

Old 08-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
dadsr4

Here is what I do.
12 inch turkey thermometer on a Weber kettle
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=131835

Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
caseydog

My Master's Touch came with a Thermometer in the lid, under the handle. It is handy to have. It is not totally accurate, and it is well above the cooking grate, but after years of using it, I have a pretty good idea how to read it and know what's going on.

Sticking a thermometer through the top vent works, too.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
tb80
Take a breath!

I have stuck a thermometer through the vent before. However, I also use an oven thermometer. Generally the temp was about 50-75 degrees hotter at the vent than on the grate. However, knowing the different allowed me to know the grate temp without peeking.
tb80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

I stick one down the vent, it may not be accurate but it gives me an idea how this fire is going compared to the last one.