MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Credit Card Machines for Road Side Vending

What are your thought? Those that operate a catering or vending business do you accept credit cards? I myself never carry cash so if I were to see a road side BBQ set up and I wanted some I would have to find an ATM if they did not take cards and for me I would most likely go on down the road if an ATM was not right there. Those that have them, what is the process and cost to get set up to take them? Any monthly fees other than the transaction % fee? Who is a good company to talk with about this or do you go through your bank to get them? Also for wireless operation will a Blackberry give you the needed acces to make a transaction? Thanks for your input!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
suprfast
Take a breath!

For about the same price just carry a laptop with internet connection and use a paypal acct. I hate paypal, but its easier than setting up a POS(point of service).

Customer will give you their credit card, you can type it all into the boxes into paypal and bam, transaction processed. If you need help with this route let me know. I ran an online auto parts business years ago and it would be no different than what you are trying to do, minus the internet i guess(road side internet could be difficult)
kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There are card swipers that connect via cell transaction. Not sure about cost or feasabilty, but a seasonal fireworks stand up here uses one.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
There are card swipers that connect via cell transaction. Not sure about cost or feasibility, but a seasonal fireworks stand up here uses one.
I looked into those. They require some serious volume to be worthwhile... There is a pretty hefty up-front fee, a steep % of per transaction fee, and equipment rental.

Better bet would be to go with SUPRFAST and have a laptop with wi-fi and use paypal.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

You can setup an account with your bank that will allow you to take info manually then each evening you can enter it on their website. I haven't done it yet but talked to a craft vendor at the Farmers Market who does it. I siad couldn't do it and she came back with cash.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cash & carry only.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

In the late 90's I had a traveling retail business (flea market sales.) At that time I was able to get a unit that connected via a cell phone, processed, approve or decline, print duplex invoice for signature, create batch report (end of day report) and transmit info. My rates were 1.85% plus $.25 per transaction. That translated to $2.10 for a $100.00 transaction. I jumped on it. If ya can't discount about 2% for a hundred dollar sale you are pricing your stuff without enough margin. My sale items were mostly higher dollar for the flea market, $50 to $100. Credit card sales ended up accounting for 30-50% of sales depending on time of month, so it was well worth it. Again, this was 12-13 years ago, so I have no idea what costs can be incurred these days. The internet is your friend, use it to search out the best deals... Good Luck!

PS, you can also save "cash advance" charges and interest rates this way. Use your own card and run it through as a sale item. No extra fee for "cash advance" and a lower interest rate. Hard to beat, but don't ask me to comment on ethics of it... LOL
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

We are set up 100 yards from an ATM. Cash only!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I see some of these wireless POS units at the Gun Shows. Seems many times people are walking around trying to find a decent signal!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
chopshop
On the road to being a farker

i would only accept cash but if you insist on cards iphone has an app for that

Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Bonkers789
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the Iphone App and it works great also i ended up buying a netbook and using paypal also that works great also
Bonkers789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Don't. Do it had one not worth it

Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Cash Vending, PayPal Catering is a good combination.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
Mlukewow
Knows what a fatty is.

Im currently looking into an enter online system thru a bank and the only up front is a 75 dollar set up and 19.99 a month plus .25 pertransaction plus 1.85%. htats alot of plusing for the transactions but a 50 dollar sale would be about 53.00 round about.

I think Im gonna go with the paypal option with a laptop. Ill let ya know how it goes
Mlukewow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
M271
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Check out Sam's Club they have good rates
M271 is offline   Reply With Quote