Quick Brisket Question

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I'm doing a 9 lb. brisket today. I see that lots of farkers separate the point from the flat at around 170°, wrap, and continue.

Two questions come to mind. Do you pull the point at that time and start your burnt ends process, or do you continue cooking both pieces, just separately?

Also, since I'm doing this on my egg, I'm not going to foil. Should I still separate at 170° and start the burnt ends process on the point, or should I take the whole farkin' thing up to 195, then separate, then worry about burnt ends. I'm so confused... :icon_blush:

I will seperate after the whole things done, Then cube, and put ends back on the smoker. Everyone has there own little way, esp w/ brisky. Today try one way, next brisky try another.

Sounds like a good plan. I've been stuck between 162° and 168° internal for almost 6 hours now. Very weird. I've never seen a plateau last that long. Dome level temp and grill level temp are both 225°. This is for lunches and a dinner or two later this week, so I'm going to have patience and resist kicking up the temp.

My last one on the drum plateaued for a loong time, then it went up then dropped back down for a while. I was about ready to put on a foil hat and hide from the aliens!

I know I'm too late to help, but...

I've done briskets about every way that has been mentioned. I have resorted
back to the way I started doing them in the beginning. Cook'em whole, no foil till done. Then separate flat from point and return point to pit for burnt ends.

I've never had a brisket plateau that long, a few hours yes, but not 6, but then again, each brisket is different. I would reposition the temp probe to see if maybe you were in a weird fat pocket or something?

James.

Hey James,

That's exactly how I did it. Good point about the temp probe. I'm trying to talk my wife into a Thermapen for Father's Day. If I don't get one, I'm going to go out and buy one the next week. :)

The 'skit came out just a little bit dry (the flat), but it tasted really good. Next time I'm thinking about injecting a second time around 165°. We'll see how that goes.

b...

I usually seperate the point from the flat and cook then seperately - mostly for the quicker cooking time since I am not a fan of getting up in the middle of the night to cook. Works for me - YMMV.

Briskets are funny. One other thing I have found (at least with mine anyway) is that they seem to be done (tender wise) at a lower temp when cooking at 225*. They seem to be done (tender wise) at a higher temp when cooking at higher temps of 250 - 260.

I think for my next brisket, I will do another SmokyOkie seared brisket. They are different, but very good.

Back