• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Biscuits and gravy

Hiloboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
is there someone here that can share their biscuit and gravy recipe..with me..

It's been awhile.
But start by cooking up some basic breakfast sausage.
Drain off fat.
Put on a pot of milk and water 50/50.
Throw in some black pepper, salt, and a shake or two of tabasco.
Add sausage
In a separate bowl mix some vegetable oil together with flour until you come up with a consistency about that of pancake batter.

Just as your milk comes to a boil, slowly start wisking in your flour mixture (ROUX) Your gravy will beging to thicken quickly so go easy with it, until you have the consistency you want.

Done deal

bbqjoe said:
It's been awhile.
But start by cooking up some basic breakfast sausage.
Drain off fat.
Put on a pot of milk and water 50/50.
Throw in some black pepper, salt, and a shake or two of tabasco.
Add sausage
In a separate bowl mix some vegetable oil together with flour until you come up with a consistency about that of pancake batter.

Just as your milk comes to a boil, slowly start wisking in your flour mixture (ROUX) Your gravy will beging to thicken quickly so go easy with it, until you have the consistency you want.

Done deal

Use the rendered fat from the sausage, not the veg oil. Much more flavor.

Anyone have a good no fuss biscuit recipe?

Ok, crumble sausage in skillet and brown as usual. sprinkle 1/3 cup flour into sausage and grease and stir w/ fork or wisk until it just starts to burn (dark brown)..stirring with a fork reduce heat to med / med low and add milk slowly while stiring the flour and sausage into milk...keep adding milk until you have about 1/2 skillit full. keep stirring until you get the consistancy you want. Remove from heat and serve over biscuts.

You can always use the grease. It's just that some folks try to stay away from it.

Yep, called "cat head" biscuts. Get some self rising flour and mix w/ buttermilk until you get the consistancy of real heavy cake batter. Spoon out a serving spoon full (about as big as a cats head) and roll on oiled wax paper place in oiled / greased pan and then coat oil over top of cat heads. cook in oven at 350 till brown on top. Serve with the gravy I made above.

wishinfishin said:
Yep, called "cat head" biscuts. Get some self rising flour and mix w/ buttermilk until you get the consistancy of real heavy cake batter. Spoon out a serving spoon full (about as big as a cats head) and roll on oiled wax paper place in oiled / greased pan and then coat oil over top of cat heads. cook in oven at 350 till brown on top. Serve with the gravy I made above.

Had a budy years ago, and his nickname was cat head!

1. Mix McCormick's gravy mix with milk and heat.
2. Crumble lots of Fatty into gravy.
3. Serve over toast or biscuits made from the little frozen doughs.
4. Eat and enjoy.

It don't get no better than that :lol:

TIM

I don't have too many proportions as I kind of do it by feel each time.

Smoke a Hot style Phattie to 150

Chop up the phattie into nice big pieces and render till it yields about 1/4 cup grease. Add a bit of butter if you are short

Combine apox. 1/4 cup of flour and cook for 1-2 minutes or you cant smell flour

Combine 2-3 cups of Half and Half

Season with light salt and good amount of black pepper

Cook until it boils, the roux will never be at its full thickening potential until it boils.

I use buttermilk biscuits from the cooler section at the grocery store. (never have time to make home made)

Alot of restaurants use a product by or called pioneer. I read a bag once. Not one ingredient that even sounded like food.

thillin said:
Anyone have a good no fuss biscuit recipe?

You want no fuss:

" I found a readily available 'frozen biscuit' that actually tastes (and textures) very good. They can be taken from the resealable bag and cooked one at a time if you really wanted: "Pillsbury Homestyle Frozen Biscuits ". Be sure to get the homestyle kind, not the 12 layer or other strange kind. If not on sale, they are pricey. (I am not pretending these are the best biscuits in the world, but they are the easiest, and they are better even than most restaurant biscuits.)"

wishinfishin said:

How big exactly is this biscuit when done if it's the size of a cat's head uncooked?!!!

Also, couldn't you tear some of the bacon off the cat and add it to the gravy for extra flavor?:mrgreen:

I LOVE b & g but no way no how can you recreate them like the way they are made in some hole in the wall place down south.

Sledneck said:
I LOVE b & g but no way no how can you recreate them like the way they are made in some hole in the wall place down south.

The best place I ever had biscuits and gravy was this little place in West Memphis, Arkansas. Called Al's or something like that. But I think it burned down. Also the Arcade in Memphis, TN is pretty good but doesn't compare to those artery cloggers. Good times!

bbqjoe said:
You can always use the grease. It's just that some folks try to stay away from it.

True Joe but he asked for good not necessarily healthy! GRiN:shock:
The southern recipe would be start with a couple or four table spoons of the drippings with the crumblies add same amount of flour (all purpose) stir over low to medium heat until it reaches the color desired (sawmill is light white) but make sure the flour has cooked ( about 5 to 8 minutes) as it will have a raw taste if not. Then add a cup or so of milk and stir until it starts to thicken and add more cold milk and continue this process until you get the thickness you want. It needs to reach reaches a a slow boil to reach the final thickness. Keep the milk cold and the gravy hot.Sail and pepper to taste after you add the milk.

Biscuits I am a lazy man and after watching my mother the home economics teacher fight with biscuits I go with Bisquick drop biscuits. Sorry:redface:

The cathead biscuit recipes I have make 4 in an 8 in cast iron skillet.

... love biscuits and gravy ... in almost any style!! Can'i give you the recipe, but since my wife started making "3-meat gravy" that's what I want when I can get it. 3-meat = sausage, ham, bacon ... in almost equal proportions chopped in medium pieces and added to anyones favorite gravy recipe. We think it's KYDITD good!

wishinfishin said:
Ok, crumble sausage in skillet and brown as usual. sprinkle 1/3 cup flour into sausage and grease and stir w/ fork or wisk until it just starts to burn (dark brown)..stirring with a fork reduce heat to med / med low and add milk slowly while stiring the flour and sausage into milk...keep adding milk until you have about 1/2 skillit full. keep stirring until you get the consistancy you want. Remove from heat and serve over biscuts.

hey thats my recipe<lol> and have seen more than one good greasy spoon make the B&G the same way---its our Friday breakfast at teh Royal!

Buzz

Back