MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
BIG_JON_STUD
Got Wood.

Default Got a couple deer shoulders

I got a couple deer shoulders that my uncle gave me to smoke on my WSM. I plan on wrapping them in bacon and smoking them low at 225. I have never smoked deer before so if anyone on here has experience with this meat I would love to hear from you.
BIG_JON_STUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

For shoulders I like to marinade, also cut slits and insert garlic slivers.
Sometimes I cover in bacon and sometimes I like to just baste.
Then cook til still pink in the center..

on the tractor rim..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=137602

in the drum

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=74165

Shoulders have a lot of connective tissue. I like to cook them whole, it's easier for me to do. Everyone slices their own serving.

just one option!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can also insert rosemary and thyme with the garlic.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I like to make a wet rub out of fresh herbs such as thyme and oregano, with a little fresh garlic, olive oill, salt, and pepper. Take some skwers and poke the roast all over, rube the paste in, wrap tightly in saran wrap and fridge over night. Next day, slice and apple thin (less than an 1/8th inch) and put all over the roast and hold in place with tooth picks. Smoker the venison around 325* or so until it hit's 145* to 150* and serve.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I commented on another thread about these. A neighbor brought me a nice bone in hind quarter and I simply trimmed the silver skin and connective tissues, injected it with Smoke on Wheels, rubbed it down, laid bacon on top of it, smoked it for two hours at 225 *they are very lean, then wrapped in double foil with a Paulaner Salvator beer in it, took it up to 201 or probe tender, let it rest and pulled it. Best dang dinner in a long time.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
BIG_JON_STUD
Got Wood.

I was wondering how it would pull because it is so lean. I might try this way. I plan on doing it on Tuesday next week. I will post some pron for y'all.
BIG_JON_STUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Oh btw, I wrapped it at about 150 IT. The added dark beer in the foil was epic. it pulled just fine. Two friends who never had much luck with the kitchen skills and flavor profiles just looked at each other in awe as they took their first tastes. I even fooled my 9 year old and served it up with bbq sauce, as he claims to dislike venison. After he finished it up he said "Dad that was the best shredded beef you have ever done" When I told him it was deer, he paused, shrugged and said "I guess I was wrong, I guess I love deer meat"
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote