MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
BBQpower
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : POWER
Default Steel Drum & Weber 22.5" Silver ?

So I got this brand new steel barrel which i believe is a 30 gal.
I got it for free on CL from some body shop that was closing down and this was one of the unused solvent disposal units. Looks clean and un-coated inside,Has a removable lid with collar and a 2" inlet with screw in plug. I have had it for about 3 years and just pulled it out of storage.
I also have this brand spanking new Weber silver 22.5".
So I have been sitting around, thinking of what to do with them.
Use them together? Stack the weber on top of the barrel and turn it into a smoking chamber? Or shall I just use them separately and use the drum as a firebox for a larger 55gal drum? hummmm I have been thinking about buying a Stainless Steel 55gal drum and using it in conjuction with the 30gal steel drum, they go for about $300-$450. Options humm.
Which drum will retain more of my heat in the smoking chamber? Stainless Steel or Regular Steel?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Mark Stanton
is one Smokin' Farker

It sure would make a nice mini uds. Thats what I'd use it for.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
BBQpower
Knows what a fatty is.

A little to small for me to do a UDS but I keep seeing a nice roomy firebox for a larger barrel

Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Loki's Mistress
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

BBQpower, is this basically what you had in mind when you mentioned using the kettle as a smoking chamber?

Loki's Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQpower View Post
A little to small for me to do a UDS but I keep seeing a nice roomy firebox for a larger barrel
Make a a mini UDS, go spend $30 on a new weber smokey joe, the lid and grates from the lil' joe will fit on that drum. Perfect for small, fuel efficient cooks.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Make a a mini UDS, go spend $30 on a new weber smokey joe, the lid and grates from the lil' joe will fit on that drum. Perfect for small, fuel efficient cooks.
Actually, it looks more like an 18" kettle would fit it nicely. What is the diameter of the drum?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

Assuming that's a 22" kettle in the pic next to the drum, it doesn't look 4" smaller, more like 8", which would work for the 14" smokey joe.

Till we see an actual measurement of the barrel, it's hard to say from a pic.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #8
BBQpower
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki's Mistress View Post
BBQpower, is this basically what you had in mind when you mentioned using the kettle as a smoking chamber?

Yes! I was thinking about this but instead using a 6" pipe to connect it to the bottom of the weber and use a adjustable chimney vent? Would being farther away from the fire do anything bad? I keep seeing this at least 24" away but would being further cause any issues? I doubt it but maybe people have experience with this.

Quote:
I just measures 18" since I didn't know either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Actually, it looks more like an 18" kettle would fit it nicely. What is the diameter of the drum?
Spot on!

Quote:
Assuming that's a 22" kettle in the pic next to the drum, it doesn't look 4" smaller, more like 8", which would work for the 14" smokey joe.

Till we see an actual measurement of the barrel, it's hard to say from a pic.
Yep I been meaning to figure it out and it was 18" I am thinking a 26" weber would look nicer on top of this but omg! I just remembered I found a weber lid on the side of the road let me go find it and take a pic. It might be from a 18"!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #9
BBQpower
Knows what a fatty is.

Lookie what I found!!!! haha

The lid is a little dirty but looks like it could be a mini UDS? IDK. I keep thinking a mini UDS is not something I need since I have a BBQ about this size already, hummmmmm options Sorry guys "ADD" here
I do not think the fire would be 24" away from the food, maybe too close but it would be good for small 2-4 hour burns with less fuel?
I never built a smoker before but I want my first one to be Fantastic and somewhat pro looking! haha
I do have a 220v & also a 120V MIG with gas welder, I also have grinders and everything to cut sheet metal. Maybe I can use this as a smaller smoking chamber since it is so clean inside! I would hate to ruin it with fire, I keep wanting to take it further then just a UDS. On the other hand, I do have a brand spanking new Weber 22.5" silver I can throw on top of the drum then again i want a 26"!!! man! why can't weber just make a 36"!!!!!!! How big is a ranch kettle?

Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Loki's Mistress
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQpower View Post
Yes! I was thinking about this but instead using a 6" pipe to connect it to the bottom of the weber and use a adjustable chimney vent? Would being farther away from the fire do anything bad? I keep seeing this at least 24" away but would being further cause any issues? I doubt it but maybe people have experience with this.
Take a look at the Weber Kettle Appreciation Society thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=44474
There's an example on the first page by N8man with something similar to what you're describing attached to the bottom of a kettle, and some additional commentary by N8man on page 2. There is also is something by smokeandbeer similar to what I posted that N8man references in his additional commentary.

Last edited by Loki's Mistress; 06-05-2011 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: grammar
Loki's Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote