Maverick et-732 Thermometer - New Probe Coming!

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have been using this new unit from Maverick. I love it and I love the story of how they listened to the pit pros out there and modified their older design to come out with the 732. Nice when a company listens to its customers.

I have two little issues with the system. The remote unit really has no ability to be clipped to your belt or pants. Working on a home made mod for that detail

The other issue is the pit probe. It's temperature limited at 570. No problem for smoking, but what if I want to monitor the grill as it comes up to temp for pizza etc?

Well I called Maverick today and they have a new probe coming online in June. Just swap oyt the old pit probe for the new one which will be much higher temp rated. How cool is that?

Now if I could just connect a Stoker or Guru to this I'd be all set...

Just ordered my 732 from Amazon yesterday. Probe finally gave out on my et-73 so that gave me an excuse.

Hmmmm. I am really happy they are doing this, but I have to wonder...

I used my maverick 732 maybe 4 times and one of the probes died on me despite the fact that I am VERY gentle on them. I called and they replaced it no questions asked (good for them.) But I have to wonder, the thing has only been on the market barely 3 months and they are already redesigning the probes and going to have them ready to ship in June? ...for free?

Isn't that almost more like a recall than anything else?

I love my ET-732 although I have only been using it for low cooks (under 280 degrees). I have been real happy with it. I will still insert my dial thermometer into the vent hole of the cover of my weber and it is interesting to see the differences between the temp at the grate surface vs the temp at the cover.

I've become sort of a thermometer-o-phile. I love measuring everything. Got my new IR thermometer today, bought two Tel-Tru's, a Thermapen, and my Maverick 732. I have more for kitchen cooking...

Looking at a DIY blower controller

I've become sort of a thermometer-o-phile. I love measuring everything. Got my new IR thermometer today, bought two Tel-Tru's, a Thermapen, and my Maverick 732. I have more for kitchen cooking...

Looking at a DIY blower controller

Only 1 Thermapen?

I have been debating getting one of these. Is it worth it? Is this the dual pit and meat probe?

I think it is worth it. It has really helped me although I am using a Weber Kettle for smoking so my temperature fluctuations are a lot greater than what you would find in a dedicated smoker.

I have been debating getting one of these. Is it worth it? Is this the dual pit and meat probe?

The other issue is the pit probe. It's temperature limited at 570. No problem for smoking, but what if I want to monitor the grill as it comes up to temp for pizza etc?

Well I called Maverick today and they have a new probe coming online in June. Just swap oyt the old pit probe for the new one which will be much higher temp rated. How cool is that?

I have sent this over to my Competition Teammate who is the Operations Manager for Maverick for a better clarification.

From what I have been told, the June shipment is for spare probes. These are the same probes that come with the ET-732 no difference. Just like with the ET-73 you can put a extra food probe in the smoker jack and now have a thermometer with two food probes.

Currently on the ET-732 Both probe wires are heat resistant to 716 F and the receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 F.

Ted do you know who you spoke with at Maverick?

I'd second that it's worth it. I'm definitely a big amateur as far as cooking/smoking go. But it really is nice to have the alarms set on the thermometer, or just to be able to glance at the receiver rather than walk out and stab the meat 80 times during the course of a 12 hour cook for temp readings.

Definitely worth the money. The only problem I have with my et-73 is the range is horrible. That and it doesn't give you any kind of notification when you lose the signal from the transmitter, and would display the temp when you lost the signal. Can be very deceiving.

They seemed to have remedied both those issues with the 732.. Up to 300' range from the transmitter, audible lost signal notification, as well as probes rated to a much higher temp, although I never had a problem with my probes, even at 375 for poultry, well until the meat probe died recently, but it probably lasted for close to 100 cooks, which seems reasonable. Anyone find out the price for replacement probes for the 732?

Here is the straight scoop direct from the top!

The probes that are coming in June are the same as what came with your ET-732 except they will be six feet long.

On the current ET-732:
1) Both probe wires are heat resistant to 716 F
2) The receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 F. This will not change. Even if the probe changes the display will still only read up to 572 F.

TedW; When I spoke to Darren he thinks you may have spoken to the new person he just hired. She started a few weeks ago and is still learning the ropes.

Some woman who answered the phone and checked with someone... I should have known.

Even if the probe could handle the heat, the 732 won't read it. Great...

They changed the probe rating to 716 F so less people will burn out the probe. With the ET-73 once you got around 400 F the probe would die. So this was one of the upgrades that was addressed with the ET-732.

Not the best answer but you can always get an inexpensive multimeter that reads temp and get a type K thermocouple, I bet you could find a multimeter that will read up to at least 900deg, and the type K thremo is good up to 2100deg depending on the brand. You will not have the remote reading capability but it will handle the temp.

You had mentioned the DIY blower, you would be using a PID which will read the temp, up to what, maybe 2400 (if you were using a kiln). You could still use the PID to read your temps even if the blower was not hooked up when cooking your pizzas.

Back