MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Default How do I cook this Deer Sausage?

I got a few packs of this from my uncle. How should I cook it? I assume throw it on a smoker? Or grill over hot coals direct? Internal temp?
forgot to add the pic:

Thanks

Last edited by DRMSMKER; 05-20-2019 at 12:43 PM..
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Just treat it like any other kind of sausage. If I were temping it, I would go to 165, just because you don't know what else is in it.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
SweetHeatBBQnSC
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Yeah cook it like any type of sausage link, grill it, fry it, cut it in grits...whatever tickles your fancy.
Isaiah 41:10-Sweet Heat BBQ-Competition Team-Whole Hog Cooker;Weber Kettle 22";WSM 22.5"
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
SonnyE
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Low and Slow to 165° F.

Probably a 2 to 4 beer cooking time.
(2 for a tea toddler, 4 for me.)
Enjoy!

(Maybe call your Uncle, say Thank You, and ask what he suggests. The obvious...)

YOU have a chest freezer.
I know. Because my Garage floor looks the same way when digging for dollops of Meat.
I was born in the dark, but it wasn't last night...

Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post
Low and Slow to 165° F.

Enjoy!

(Maybe call your Uncle, say Thank You, and ask what he suggests. The obvious...)

I know. Because my Garage floor looks the same way when digging for dollops of Meat.
My uncle has no idea about smoking meats. I've smoked butts for him so he just gave this too me. I just called the people who process it and they said they only add some spices to the meat before casing it and don't add any cure so I assume my cooker needs to be atleast 225. They said they smoke it at 200 for 4 to 5 hours but again with no cure I'm scared that might be too low.

And yes I do have a chest freeze. it's not that big so most times the floor becomes a sorting ground when searching for stuff haha. Oh first world problems.
I think i'm just gonna go at 225 til 165 and see how it goes. If I don't like it thin i'll try over direct heat next time.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by DRMSMKER; 05-20-2019 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
SweetHeatBBQnSC
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Yeah cook it like any type of sausage link, grill it, fry it, cut it in grits...whatever tickles your fancy.
I forgot to add when you cook it watch it closer than pork sausage. Deer sausage has far less fat/grease so it will burn quicker.
Isaiah 41:10-Sweet Heat BBQ-Competition Team-Whole Hog Cooker;Weber Kettle 22";WSM 22.5"
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post
Low and Slow to 165° F.

Enjoy!

Whoa.. what a weird sense of Deja Vu.... I opened this thread and seen your post.. and I swear I've seen this whole thread before.. with your post about the beers LOL

Old 05-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
mchar69
Babbling Farker

There should be some pork fat added to the sausage - venison is too lean to be by itself.
Do not overcook it or it will be way to dry as mentioned.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
creek bottom
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Joe

We process quite a bit of deer sausage. I personally like to grill it until the casing (I use natural hog casing)starts to split... Put it on a bun, DELICIOUS!!!

A1 Competition Smoker; Weber 22" Kettle; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
SonnyE
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Whoa.. what a weird sense of Deja Vu.... I opened this thread and seen your post.. and I swear I've seen this whole thread before.. with your post about the beers LOL
Probably. I'm pretty consistent.
Especially about BBQ and Beer.
Beer is a Quintessential safety item for BBQing. I apply it externally to burns, and internally in case of burns.

But 225° F, until it reaches 165° F (~) is good.
If possible, an internal remote probe is how I monitor my sausage cooking.

Beer was so important to me, I now have a Beer/Curing Fridge out by my equipment.
(I didn't want to get yelled at for making the house fridge stink of smoked bacon during my process)
BEER! It's not just for Breakfast anymore!

Old 05-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
There should be some pork fat added to the sausage - venison is too lean to be by itself.
Do not overcook it or it will be way to dry as mentioned.
They did tell me they added pork fat to the 1lb packs for ground venison I have. She didn't mention any thing like that for the sausage. Just seasoning and sage.
Is 165 going to be too high of a IT. Should i go more for 145 to 150?

dare I even try to sous vide it haha. I got a bunch of it to try different methods:)

Old 05-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

First off it's a good thing you called the processor, because if they had added cure you would have been safe smoke-cooking to 152 - 155°. Without cure, it's a ground whole muscle "fresh" sausage and USDA recommends getting it above 140° in 4 hours, and taking it to 165° for a finish internal temp. You can cheat that a few degrees because of the carry over unless you have a very low pit temp and don't get a rise in temp while resting.

If possible, I would suggest ringing it and hanging, this way you have both ends high and this will help with it comes to loosing any liquid while cooking. When I make my own rings I leave extra gut, and tie in butchers string, so you might have to squeeze a little meat out and tie a know in the end, then come back with string to make a hanging loop. Just make sure you don't overshoot the 165° or the fats can break and the sausage could become dry and mealy.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote