• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jack Daniels chips?

tmcmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used them and if you have, what's your take on them?

I like them but I like using chunks as well in combination.

Depending on the planned burn time and type of cooker, you need a lot of chips, and the JD chips aren't cheap.

At the end of the day though, if you did two side by side cooks, one with JD Oak and the other with regular oak chips, the finished product would probably have minimal differences or be hard to ID which was which.

Don't get caught up in the marketing part of the "JD"

I have to agree wholeheartedly - I would stick with just the regular wood chips. I did not find any noticeable difference when I used them in my wsm.

Hopefully Ricks Tropical will chime in. I've seen where he has used them several times.

Good info I keep looking at those when I go to the store haven't wanted to spend that much on chips yet.

make your own chips. buy two bottles of JD! Drink one and use the other to soak your chips? Just a thought......

These chips produce a nice 'Wow' factor when you first put them on. There is a nice aroma of Jack Daniels.

So if you want to impress some of the folks at a party you are hosting - they will be great.

However, like others have said, I don't know how much better your food will actually taste because of the chips.

Has anyone ever used them and if you have, what's your take on them?

i use them all the time. i love them. i love them. i love them. :shock:

i guess you can go on all the "advice" given here and decide you don't like them without even trying them or you could go get a bag and decide for yourself.

I have used them a bit and like them. It's kind of like MRI Guy says. They have a great initial impact but the final product has minimal difference. I just like the smell when I open the bag and toss on a handful. It's "aroma therapy" for the BBQ set ;) :)

I didn't realize they were that much more cost wise. My wife buys them for me. I'm not going to question her, she might start buying "select" meats ;)

I have used them a bit and like them. It's kind of like MRI Guy says. They have a great initial impact but the final product has minimal difference. I just like the smell when I open the bag and toss on a handful. It's "aroma therapy" for the BBQ set ;) :)

I didn't realize they were that much more cost wise. My wife buys them for me. I'm not going to question her, she might start buying "select" meats ;)

wait till the end of the season (like right now) and when they are on sale buy.

maybe it depends on what cooker you have and what your are cooking. i don't use them on everything.

try a burger or a classic t-rex steak or beef tenderloin with the chips at the roast part and tell me it's the same as oak chunks. we will agree to disagree then.

I bought them specifically for a rib roast and LOVED the result. I figured I was already spending so much on the beef...BUT I've got leftover chips I'm going to use on some chuckies.

:biggrin:

i'm making a burger on tattoo with jdobc tonight.

Last edited:
I would love to try them if I could find them-anyone got a line on a source?

My wine barrel chunks get the best overall flavor when I use them in my Smokette 008. You can smell the red wine in the smoke and the beef roasts soak it up. Unlike any of my other cookers.

I would love to try them if I could find them-anyone got a line on a source?

My Local Ace Hardware has them, I haven't tried the chips but I did get the pellets from BBQrs Delight. I usually use pellets for quick cooks.

Personally never really cared for the chips as much as chunks. Having said that, I would still encourage you to make your own decision.

Back