• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why do we....

G

Gnaws on Pigs

argue, fuss and worry so much about what process is used to cook something? To me, if the end product tastes good and doesn't give me tomaine poisoning; I could care less if it was cooked at 150* or 700*, cooked nekkid or wrapped in foil, paper, birch bark, saran wrap, handmade papyrus or kevlar; cooked in a stickburner, kamado, UDS, on a propane grill, in a crockpot, on a stick over a campfire, or a smoker made out of an old portajon; rubbed, sauced, salted, or marinated. I expect food to taste good. That's all. Good food is good food, and there are many means to a successful end.

Discuss. :)

I dunno but anything that's cooked in a crock pot can't be good! I don't even make cheese dip in a crock pot :biggrin1:

I dunno but anything that's cooked in a crock pot can't be good! I don't even make cheese dip in a crock pot

Well there you go casting aspersions on a versatile and useful piece of cooking equipment. May not be the proper tool for BBQ but it certainly has its place in a kitchen. :boxing:

I dunno but anything that's cooked in a crock pot can't be good! I don't even make cheese dip in a crock pot

I'll disagree with that one. I love cooking on a live fire. I love real bbq. But I've eaten some delicious stuff that came out of a crockpot, and I'm not gonna snob and dis a meal cooked in a crock pot as long as it tastes good. As much as I love smoked and grilled food, smoking/grilling is not the ideal means for cooking some things. I make grilled french fries sometimes, but I prefer deep-fried ones. A deer roast cooked in a crockpot is hard to beat, it's about the ideal method to cook it. I'll break out the pan on the rangetop to cook stir-fry instead of cooking it on the smoker. Pasta is generally better boiled than grilled. If it tastes good, I like it, no matter how it's cooked. If it tastes bad, I don't like it. I would rather have a good meal cooked in a crockpot by Jane Doe as a bad one cooked for 14 hours over old-growth cherry coals by the Messiah Franklin. Of course, it's usually better cooked over fire than not, but not always. I've made good bbq hot, slow, wrapped, nekkid, whatever. As long as the end product is good, I'm happy.

I'll disagree with that one. I love cooking on a live fire. I love real bbq. But I've eaten some delicious stuff that came out of a crockpot, and I'm not gonna snob and dis a meal cooked in a crock pot as long as it tastes good. As much as I love smoked and grilled food, smoking/grilling is not the ideal means for cooking some things. I make grilled french fries sometimes, but I prefer deep-fried ones. A deer roast cooked in a crockpot is hard to beat, it's about the ideal method to cook it. I'll break out the pan on the rangetop to cook stir-fry instead of cooking it on the smoker. Pasta is generally better boiled than grilled. If it tastes good, I like it, no matter how it's cooked. If it tastes bad, I don't like it. I would rather have a good meal cooked in a crockpot by Jane Doe as a bad one cooked for 14 hours over old-growth cherry coals by the Messiah Franklin. Of course, it's usually better cooked over fire than not, but not always. I've made good bbq hot, slow, wrapped, nekkid, whatever. As long as the end product is good, I'm happy.

The title of your thread confuses me

There's more than one way to get from point A to point B.
Its the journey, my friend... take the scenic route.

I don't disagree with that, I love nothing better than sitting outside all day with a cold beer and blue smoke rolling. But I'm not gonna put somebody else down if they feed me good food that they cooked on a gas grill wrapped in 'luminum foil, either.

Many roads to the same saloon. Some take the bumpy trail on an old pony, some would rather jog on a less likely path, others take a freight train WFO , and some prefer an armored car. They all end up at the same saloon and their conveyance was the best way. Life would be farking boring as watchin paint dry if we all agreed all the time on every detail.

Many roads to the same saloon. Some take the bumpy trail on an old pony, some would rather jog on a less likely path, others take a freight train WFO , and some prefer an armored car. They all end up at the same saloon and their conveyance was the best way. Life would be farking boring as watchin paint dry if we all agreed all the time on every detail.

I totally agree. I just don't see the disdain for other people's methods as being inferior if the end result is the same.

I didn't realize yall were gunna take me so seriously, when I was younger alot of meals came out of the crock pot, I don't care to ever have another meal out of one

Well... will draw the line at faux-que/Crock-Que/boiled ribs.

As long it involves an indirect fire.....

WHY DO WE argue, fuss and worry so much about what process is used to cook something?

Discuss. :)

Because we can........(LOL)

We have all learned from different mentors / teachers a method in which works best for our individual tastes. By human nature we are certain that we have mastered the craft of cooking food to perfection in the manner that pleases us, our family, and our friends.

Just as our human spirit is competitive in sports, so are we with our craft of BBQ. After all we have competitions both on the local and national levels.

Like a religion we are convinced we know the only true way to BBQ and we try to convert others to our way because it is what works best in our own individual minds. Occasionally we will share the same ideals with another pitmaster and we take sides with each other, sometimes to debate against another.

Many fail to realize like "BBQ BANDIT" says that "it is the journey", and many roads will lead you to the journey at hand. We don't always recognize that not only are there different temperatures to cook at, but there are different cookers to cook in, different methods of cooking, different fuels to cook with, different cultures, and different regional tastes. All of these in some manner play a part in our final product.

Mixing all these together and you have many different combinations to arrive at what we can consider the best of the best. But in the end we really only have a tried and true opinion as the basis and foundation for our deeply entrenched beliefs.

For some of us it has been a long and sometimes difficult journey to get to where we are at. Because our journey has been long and sometimes difficult we have become passionate in the goal of perfection. Our experiences have become our belief in achieving the ultimate in BBQ.

We adhere to our beliefs because we are passionate about our beliefs in BBQ, but with an open mind and a willingness to try something different once in awhile we can expand our horizons.

We try to share our knowledge to make the journey easier for those who are new to the craft and wish to learn. But in the end we are all Brethren and we respect each others beliefs and methods and we all come together on our common grounds and put our difference aside. Then we look for another excuse to cook something else to share with each other. The bantering is just in good clean fun with each other.

Last edited:
a few questions:

1. should i cook my brisket at 275 or 280?

2. when doing chicken on my UDS i think i have the perfect cooking temp but i cant decide which way to have my smoker facing. should i have it face true north or magnetic north?

:wink:

a few questions:

1. should i cook my brisket at 275 or 280? Answer: YES

2. when doing chicken on my UDS i think i have the perfect cooking temp but i cant decide which way to have my smoker facing. should i have it face true north or magnetic north? Answer: As long as the axis of the barrel from top to bottom is relatively perpendicular to the ground it should work as designed.

:wink:

Also, keep Crayons off the top of the UDS and everything else just happens according to the alignment of the relevant planets.

Back