MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
suprfast
Take a breath!

Default stubbs briquettes NO-NO

Here is a letter I wrote directly to stubbs bbq. I was totally shocked but at least this will explain why I had a huge infestation of flies.

I would like to know that I have been a long time user of your briquettes but this might have just changed. I cannot say 100% if this is your charcoal(the vegetable coating you use) of if it was something else, but from my findings your briquettes attract maggots. Today when I was preparing for another smoke and reached into my rubbermaid container where I put my charcoal I found a very large swarm of maggots. After disposing of the little charcoal I had left in the rubbermaid container I decided to check my second rubbermaid container that had only kingsford original(the first rubbermaid container had a mix of kingsford and stubbs). I pulled handfuls at a time of the kingsford and moved it to the cleaned rubbermaid container and at the bottom I found 2 maggots total for a container that was filled to the top with kingsford. This one the first thing that was pointing me towards the stubbs briquettes being at fault for the maggots. The next thing I did was move all the pecan wood I had in a rubbermaid container to a clean container and found no trace of maggots in that container. I then moved the containers(i purchased these containers two weeks ago and I had my stubbs placed directly on the ground for a week before that) and exactly where the stubbs briquettes were(before I placed the rubbermaid container over it) were another pile of maggots. The common denominator in all this was the stubbs, but I cannot 100% put blame on it, but I am leaning towards this being the culprit.

In the below image is the stubbs/kingsford mixed rubbermaid container. As you can see, I was particularly freaked out after I dug my hand into it.

The next picture shows kingsford only charcoal and I was able to count 2 total maggots. The stubbs container was sitting on top of the kingsford only so maybe they worked their way down. One on the far left, one of the far right.

The next two pictures are of my very small but clean back patio.

I just wanted to say there is a very good chance I will not be buying stubbs briquettes anymore. I originally bought them because of the ALL NATURAL approach you took, but maggots are a little too natural for me.
Kris Lewis
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

Did they respond?

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
suprfast
Take a breath!

I just sent it right before I posted here. I will reply with their reply. I showered after cleaning that because I felt NASTY, and not in a good way.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
B & B Backyard BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Let us know what they say, I have been using it for close to a year and have never seen one.
B & B Backyard BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Thumbs down

You should be grateful for the free protein.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
suprfast
Take a breath!

I wanted to think of all the nice Vietnamese dishes I could have made.

I will keep everyone updated. I hope they get back within 24 hours. I assume they were closed when I sent this at to 2pm PST

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
leanza
Babbling Farker

Ive never ever found a magic maggot in my charcoal. I dont use Stubbs and this a first. Never heard of anyone who found them. Interesting.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
suprfast
Take a breath!

The only thing I can think of is the vegetable binder(5%) according to random websites. I do not have a bag in front of me.

I am almost tempted to do a test and find out if this is the case.
Catch a couple flies and put some in a jar with lid each with a few briquettes, kingsford vs stubbs.

Now just a statement I should have made, I am in now way affiliated with kingsford nor am I attempting to make kingsford sound better than stubbs. I just happened to have kingsford in my second rubbermaid because it was on sale from depot.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I can bet you it's not the Stubbs. Whatever charcoal you placed there that week ( the week the larve were hatching) would have netted you maggots. A week or two earlier or later, none.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
suprfast
Take a breath!

Brand new containers, very clean backyard. I sweep it up and clean both of them after use. I do not prep anything back there. What really shocked me was the rubbermaid container that contained the stubbs. I have said I cannot 100% say it is the stubbs, nor have i ever contacted a company to complain about a product, but this time was just wow to me.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

That is a first for me I have never seen anything like this before. Let us know what they say please.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

and .....I got a bucket in the shed I need to check.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
suprfast
Take a breath!

they were not noticeable until I got to the ash at the bottom. Is it a freak accident or is it the vegetable binder?

I am almost thinking of doing a test and reporting back to stubbs(cowboy) about this. Two glass jars with lids, flies, briquettes from stubbs and X company. If larvae attach to stubbs and form maggots then my theory is sound and the experiment would be repeatable.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

Man, I hope it's not the stubbs...I've been using stubbs for over a year and have bought approx. 50 to 60 bags and have never seen anything like this.

Ken
Cubby blue Thermapen
UDS
XL UDS
22.5" weber X 2
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I live in an Apple Maggot Quarantine Area-therefore I am ever so vigilant about transporting out of state homegrown fruit. I will check my Stubb's supply at first dawn and report any suspicious happenings with my stash. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident? Anytime I mix Stubb's and K its in the cooker and no Maggots can survive the weed burning Minion Method. Although I'm sure most Maggots can thrive on my Q!

How can you be sure its the Stubb's?? I would think Maggots would flock to the K?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->