MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

Default foiling 8lb butts

i love to foil butts after about 4 hours on the uds then finish cooking. but man it is a pain in the a##! juices always leaking and what a mess it makes in the cooler when resting. cant use pans cause cant fit 3 or 4 on each rack. so any suggestions out there on the best way to foil a butt or brisket. oh yea i hate when you foil and the bone rips the foil. errr!
thanks in advance. tim

Old 07-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
wildflower
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't foil till it's at 200 then foil and put it in the chest
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I use two layers of HD foil and I handle the foil carefully to avoid poke-throughs. It doesn't always work

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

I've typically used the strategy that Ron mentioned, recently though I've started wrapping with food service plastic wrap and then a layer of foil.

The plastic seals tightly and allows for very little, if any juice out. I have returned to a 300* oven to finish before and no problems with the wrap melting or any other funny biz.

Don't try this with regular "syran" type cling wrap, it doesn't stick to itself enough to work.

I buy the regular kirkland brand that costco has (2 - 750ft rolls for less than $10 if I remember right).

There is a secret to making even this work though!!

lay out an adequate length of wrap and then lay another oner beside it, overlapping the edges by 2".

If you use it like this it will leak!! You need to put 1 more layer right down the middle to give a full seal. Then place the butt in the middle and wrap/seal it up and then wrap with foil.

I notice that the butts stay very moist doing it this way too, bark suffers though if that's important to you...

Now, if I remember correctly, Barbefunkaramaque wraps with butchers paper only... never tried it, but he seems to like it.
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Just thinking outside the box. Has anyone tried Reynolds Oven Bags instead of foil? http://www.reynoldsovenbags.com/

Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

I put 2 to 3 days worth of newspaper flat,, in the bottom of the cooler to soak up any leaks.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

Reynolds makes a "Super Strength" foil that I have just started using that is stronger than the HD. It's a little pricey and pretty hard to find. I got it on line and am glad i did. I saw where Reynolds also has "for the Grill" product thyat is advertised as non-stick and HD. I haven't tried this one yet.

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I don't foil my butts anymore, but here's a method I had pretty good success with.

Heavy duty foil
Take a big sheet (bigger = better)
Roll the butt from corner to corner rather than side to side.
Double roll it

Also, if its a big butt and too big for one sheet of foil you can combine two sheets by laying them on top of one another and folding one edge a few times. This creates a nice seal.