MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

Default chicken?

I have a church picnic to cook for this weekend and they are wanting pork and chicken. I have never done chicken for the masses. They are looking right now at 70 people. I think I have enough pork left over from my comp last weekend to cover the pork, but which version of chicken is preferred for this? Halves, whole, leg quarters? Was leaning to some leg quarters and breasts, but am really open for advice here. They have a sign up sheet, but our church is big on not signing and then showing up. Add in a new pastor ordination service and who knows. Extra food will go to the local food bank so leftovers don't really worry me a lot.
Any help appreciated!

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Leg quarters and breast quarters will appeal to the most people since you have both white and dark meat.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Bayou Boogie BBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Leg quarters and breast quarters will appeal to the most people since you have both white and dark meat.
I agree. Quarters are a lot less work for the cook too.
Bayou Boogie BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For my mothers 90th birthday last week I cooked legs, thighs, and breast tenderloins. Satisfied both the dark meat lovers and white meat lovers. I bought a 10 lb. bag of leg quarters .39/lb. then divided them, a lot less waste that way. I got the boneless/skinless chicken breast tenderloins at Sams, 8 lb. package for around $12.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

i agree too. plus, the 10# bags for $6.00 are the cheapest route.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Leg quarters are a great way to go. If you slide your knife along the fat line between the leg and the thigh it will open up that joint a little bit to allow them to cook a bit faster as well as enable you to check easily to see if the juices are running clear before taking them off the smoker. Another idea that a buddy of mine does is to cook chicken 1/2's and then cut them up after smoking them so you get legs, thighs, breast and wing sections. Doing them as a 1/2 chicken or leg quarters makes the cooking process much easier than doing individual pieces.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

My vote would be leg quarters, they are very cheap and if they don't like dark meat then they can eat pork.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I once cooked over 100 tri-tips for a charity and one lady came back to the kitchen and wanted some well done. I told her the nearest McDonald's was right across the street.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
Torch
Got Wood.

Years ago I was a white meat boy. But the competition world showed me thighs. I have cooked for 70 - 350 and thighs are a great way to go and everyone raves. I've done skin on and bone in, and recently skinned and boneless. I've done grilled and smoked, and smoked and grilled! My tip is for chicken do ONE piece to unify the smoke. It's all about ease for the cook AND quality product.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

People cook chicken different ways for different reasons.

If you are cooking the chicken in a smoker with a rottiesserre, or your smoker cooks in a manner that the chicken never has to be flipped over ----then small pieces are great.

If your smoker cooks in a manner that the chicken pieces need to be flipped over then larger pieces are easier to manage. If you are grilling chicken on a Santa Maria style BBQ pit then half chickens are easier to cook.

When cooking chicken only I serve 1/4 chickens---I cook them as 1/2 chickens and then split into leg and thigh quarters and breast and wing quarters. If I am serving 2 meats then I serve 1/8 chicken---I simply cut the quarters into eighths.

I have found that it is quicker to cook large pieces and cut them just before serving. Some people think that cutting after cooking is not time effective--but we have found that it is actually quicker. We have cooked chicken for over 2000 people and had no problems serving.

Leg and thigh quarters are always the cheapest way to buy chicken---If cost is an issue I would cook legs and thighs. I always find deals on split chicken WOGS---so the cost is not that much different.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

The number of people has gone up. They ask me for 85 to 100. I was thinking have 20 chickens cut in 1/4. That will give 80 pieces. On my smoker I should not have to handle them much. Maybe one flip. According to the catering calculator found on here I need about 26# of pork. I have 24# in the freezer from the last two competitions, and I told them they could not afford to pay for that type of meat, but I will give it to them at regular price just to keep me from pulling all my equipment there and cooking it all. They said ok. I plan on cooking 4 more butts Saturday on my wsm for back up and I have a comp this weekend and am going to try some vending from the booth so leftover will go toward that.
Anyone see any flaw with this reasoning?

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big blue bbq View Post
Anyone see any flaw with this reasoning?
I always cut chicken into eights when serving more than one meat. People like to try a little of everything and they may not want a whole quarter chicken. When I cut the white quarter, I shoot for one piece to have about 2/3 of the breast meat and the other piece to have 1/3 of the breast meat and the wing.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
theflints01
Knows what a fatty is.

When I used to work for a chicken restaurant that had whole rotisserie chiskens, we would cut them up using shears wearing insulated kitchen gloves. Get really good shears and you can cut a bird up into an 8 or 10 piece cut in no time. Same works for half chickens that I do now.
theflints01 is offline   Reply With Quote