MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Humbled in Hazelwood...

Man... we got STOMPED in Hazelwood.

Rightfully so, but still, a nasty blow to the ego and fairly discouraging overall. I already posted the chicken box in the "Worst Ever Turn-in Box" thread, but here it is again, just in case you need to scare the children....

and the Ribs

The Pork I thought was ok when we did it - after being awake for about 36 hours - now...in retrospect and with a little more sleep... not so much.

Brisket got us straight 9's on appearance. It must have been the same judges who recognized the horror and wanted to give us a break.

I think we'll curl up in a fetal position and hide over the summer.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Can I suggest a mentor. The charred remains would be a turn-off for most judges, and the presentation leaves something to be desired. Get someone to show you how to put together a box and either lose the wood or foil the meat.

PM me and I will be more than happy to discuss some of the issues I see. If you wish, I can call you and talk as that is cheap.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
vexter1
On the road to being a farker

Hang right in there - take a look around and look at other teams' boxes on here and other forums. Keep trying, improve, improvise, adapt and overcome (or something like that..LOL)

Appearance does count - but from I can gather - it's the other 2 you really want to focus on. Best of luck on your next go 'round!
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

The pics look dark, was that the lighting? If not...I'd say that you are cooking too hot, with too much sugar and too hot, wet/green wood, or don't have a clean/efficient fire going. Address those issues and you are on track, based on the pics. The boxes need some work but if you are putting a quality product in the box that's an easy fix.

The most important question is....Did you have a good time, and do you want to do it again?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
The pics look dark, was that the lighting? If not...I'd say that you are cooking too hot, with too much sugar and too hot, wet/green wood, or don't have a clean/efficient fire going. Address those issues and you are on track, based on the pics. The boxes need some work but if you are putting a quality product in the box that's an easy fix.

The most important question is....Did you have a good time, and do you want to do it again?
It could have been the lighting the clouds were moving in right before the tornado.

I can tell you the chicken didnt taste bad. I was working the leftover table and there was only one box that came back with that type of chicken
I wasnt in score mode and i dont know how much i really remember but i would have given it an 8 or perhaps a high 7.
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
smokin joe's and son
Got Wood.

Jason, it was great being your neighbor, and appreciated the southern hospitality. Thanks for the sample of rub, I will try it on some home cooking soon. Don't be discouraged, we all have had bad days. The best part about having a bbq passion is that there is allways next weekend.
smokin joe's and son is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Jason is was nice meeting you at the comp. I tried your stuff and thought it tasted great. Don't let this comp discourage you guys. Maybe I'll see you next year....I'm planning on being at the same spot..

Jon
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

I didn't get around to see many people at hazelwood...I guess I was concentrating on producing crappy ribs and pork.. are you headed to Steeleville? We will be there. My first rule anymore is make sure you get some sleep...I never turn in good product when I have been up that long..
We all have bad comps..just improve your game a little each time...
Lion Bout The Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Bout The Q View Post
I didn't get around to see many people at hazelwood...I guess I was concentrating on producing crappy ribs and pork.. are you headed to Steeleville? We will be there. My first rule anymore is make sure you get some sleep...I never turn in good product when I have been up that long..
We all have bad comps..just improve your game a little each time...
No. Unfortunately, we won't be doing any more comps until September. My partners' are headed back to Charlotte and Iowa and I'm not up to doing one solo, soooo...

That being said, I think I'll practice more at home during really crappy weather and see what I need to do to keep my temps controlled when the Cloud People want to dance a little.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin joe's and son View Post
Jason, it was great being your neighbor, and appreciated the southern hospitality. Thanks for the sample of rub, I will try it on some home cooking soon. Don't be discouraged, we all have had bad days. The best part about having a bbq passion is that there is allways next weekend.
Hey Joe! Welcome to the brethren!
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker

Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post
Jason is was nice meeting you at the comp. I tried your stuff and thought it tasted great. Don't let this comp discourage you guys. Maybe I'll see you next year....I'm planning on being at the same spot..

Jon

We would be glad to have you. Did I really see you leaving Sunday at 2?
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgreg View Post
We would be glad to have you. Did I really see you leaving Sunday at 2?
No sir. We packed up between the last turn-in and the awards. We were on the road right after the MallCop suggested we wait a few minutes for the tornado to go away.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin joe's and son View Post
Hey Joe... Sorry for my whiny post. You and your son did GREAT! It was good to be your neighbor. I'm going to have to see if I can get one of those salvage drums from work like you. Thinking of trying aerogel as the insulator though instead of mineral wool. A LOT lighter.

If I can find enough Pyrogel XT, I may just line the inside of a regular barrel and see how that works.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
stlgreg
Take a breath!

i have a drum in the garage. but you will have to cut the top off.
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker

Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

everybody gets their azz kicked sometime, you just have to suck it up and try to determine what went wrong and fix it

I bet you do better next go around

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote