1st bag of Royal Oak Lump w/Sat Pron

bobsuosso

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was very surprised with the small chunks, Maybe just a bad batch bottom of the bin? when I filled the basket of the UDS 20% right thru the bottom (weber 18.5" coal grate) is this the norm. Have used Cowboy Lump before, definitely bigger chunks. But I believe the taste was the best yet, used some pecan chunks. Next bag/brand I'll gonna try is Wicked Good Charcoal. Ribs were my best yet, 3-1-1.5, sprayed occasionally w/ 50-50 ginger ale and pepsi, fried a turkey also. Made up some Emiril's cajun seasoning and rubbed up both, have a great Sun.

Attachments

• DSCN2450.jpg
    DSCN2450.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN2451.jpg
    DSCN2451.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCN2452.jpg
    DSCN2452.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN2454.jpg
    DSCN2454.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 323
As much as I like Royal Oak, I have passed on it the last couple of purchases because of the small chunks.

Chow looks awesome, though. I'm glad I finally got a day off to play with my "new" smoker...

Check that RO and see where it was made. If it is coming from South America, it is (IMO) crap.

i use RO for higher heat cooks in the uds if i find it on sale, but its pretty crappy stuff compared to humphreys. the stack of concrete, fiberglass, and asphalt chunks beside the uds reminds me you get what you pay for

I would suggest getting a second charcoal grate and run it in the opposite direction. This will help keep the smaller pieces from falling through. I have been working with the RO green bag lump made in the USA the last few months. The second grate is the only way for me to keep it from falling through. Here is a pic of what I did using a smokey Joe grate.

DSCF0018-13.jpg

Last night I started an over night butts smoke. I have not yet been able to get RO lump to work for me for long cooks so I am using the new K blue 20lb bag with some pecan and apple chunks from Weber. Not sure why the lump is being a PITA for me. I have packed it real tight and it does not burn like the briquettes do. It seems that the temps do not stay stable and the burn time is less IMO. It does work good for about 6 hours but needs more attention.

I know my wsm leaks a bit and in most cases I keep my vents just about closed after I get up to temp. Last night at 8:30 CST I fired up about 20 coals and did the MM. using a coffee can in the middle of a well packed over flowing ring. I did take about 4 2x2 size chunks of each wood and bury 4 on the fire grate and four just below the top layer of coals. It is now 12:00 here and other than opening up the vents to about half way an hour ago I have not even had the lid off! Butts are at 186 on the lower grate and 188 on the top. I have been able to keep the wsm 230-250 all night/morning upper cooking grate temp.

I plan on pulling the butts here at about 195* and let them rest while I go to the store to get some rolls. Then I have some ribs to go on. Not sure what the deal is between the two cooking fuels. However for shorter cooks I like the lump and longer ones get briquets.

Practice! Practice! Practice!

Sorry for the hijack just wanted to add some info. Vince

I would suggest getting a second charcoal grate and run it in the opposite direction. This will help keep the smaller pieces from falling through. I have been working with the RO green bag lump made in the USA the last few months. The second grate is the only way for me to keep it from falling through. Here is a pic of what I did using a smokey Joe grate.

Last night I started an over night butts smoke. I have not yet been able to get RO lump to work for me for long cooks so I am using the new K blue 20lb bag with some pecan and apple chunks from Weber. Not sure why the lump is being a PITA for me. I have packed it real tight and it does not burn like the briquettes do. It seems that the temps do not stay stable and the burn time is less IMO. It does work good for about 6 hours but needs more attention.

I know my wsm leaks a bit and in most cases I keep my vents just about closed after I get up to temp. Last night at 8:30 CST I fired up about 20 coals and did the MM. using a coffee can in the middle of a well packed over flowing ring. I did take about 4 2x2 size chunks of each wood and bury 4 on the fire grate and four just below the top layer of coals. It is now 12:00 here and other than opening up the vents to about half way an hour ago I have not even had the lid off! Butts are at 186 on the lower grate and 188 on the top. I have been able to keep the wsm 230-250 all night/morning upper cooking grate temp.

I plan on pulling the butts here at about 195* and let them rest while I go to the store to get some rolls. Then I have some ribs to go on. Not sure what the deal is between the two cooking fuels. However for shorter cooks I like the lump and longer ones get briquets.

Practice! Practice! Practice!

Sorry for the hijack just wanted to add some info. Vince

Hey Vince, thanks for the extra grate idea, simplest ideas are usually the best. Haven't seen any RO green, will keep an eye out. Sounds like you had a busy night, enjoy lunch, hope you get a nap in, thanks for the info.

The green bag is the same as the orange. At Menard's, from what I was told, they changed the color so people could tell the difference between the briquet's and the lump.

I actually went to sleep around 1:30ish and got up at 6:30 to take a leek and check everything. Then went back to sleep until 9:00ish. My butts are sitting right at 190* and I have not had the lid off all night. No added fuel and just a slight vent adjustment at 6:00. 233* and waiting!

A nap sounds like a good idea but ribs are next to go on when I pull the butts for a rest. The second rack works great. Glade I could be of help. Vince

I have been using RO Steakhouse (green bag) for some time. I have really good burn times with it on my Good-One. Yes, there are some small pieces, but when I use a whole bag the small pieces stay on top.

Good looking eats!

I don't dump it I pull it out of the bag with an old pair of gloves.

I have been using RO Steakhouse (green bag) for some time. I have really good burn times with it on my Good-One. Yes, there are some small pieces, but when I use a whole bag the small pieces stay on top.
burned really even and long, still plenty left when I shut her down for next time, thanks
Good looking eats!

I don't dump it I pull it out of the bag with an old pair of gloves.
good idea will give it a try, thanks

I liked RO (orange bag)for my ribs/brisket/butts when I had the old Charbroil offset from HD. Used a vertical grate against the firebox door, then loaded almost a full bag of unlit, then a 1/3 chimney of burners to start a modified MM. Max I could get was 4 hours, with a little fire tending. RO here is only available from WalMart, so I tend to stock up with a dozen bags on hand. Haven't tried it in the new Klose but I will next. Checked the bag, and yes, it's Made in America, with a Georgia RO address. I too get some bags with small pieces which I attribute to rough handling, and an occasional rock. Haven't tried Barbecue's Galore yet, they have recently (last year or so) added a BBG brand lump, but the bag sez Mexico. Lord knows how that lump started life. An old thread id'd the Big Green Egg Lump as RO, with better QC than the orange bag, but twice the price. Lot's of mesquete here, just don't like it for the smoke.
Did a porterhouse tonight on the Weber with the lump RO and the smell and flavor were dynomite! Have been using KF in varying forms (old and new blue, competition, hickory) which are okay and much better than a gasser with no flavor. I like the KF for burn consistancy, but hate the ash buildup for a smoke. Fortunately the Klose Grill Chef has a great ash drawer so cleanout during a smoke is a snap. (unlike the old Charbroil offset).

I liked RO (orange bag)for my ribs/brisket/butts when I had the old Charbroil offset from HD. Used a vertical grate against the firebox door, then loaded almost a full bag of unlit, then a 1/3 chimney of burners to start a modified MM. Max I could get was 4 hours, with a little fire tending. RO here is only available from WalMart, so I tend to stock up with a dozen bags on hand. Haven't tried it in the new Klose but I will next. Checked the bag, and yes, it's Made in America, with a Georgia RO address. I too get some bags with small pieces which I attribute to rough handling, and an occasional rock. Haven't tried Barbecue's Galore yet, they have recently (last year or so) added a BBG brand lump, but the bag sez Mexico. Lord knows how that lump started life. An old thread id'd the Big Green Egg Lump as RO, with better QC than the orange bag, but twice the price. Lot's of mesquete here, just don't like it for the smoke.
Did a porterhouse tonight on the Weber with the lump RO and the smell and flavor were dynomite! Have been using KF in varying forms (old and new blue, competition, hickory) which are okay and much better than a gasser with no flavor. I like the KF for burn consistancy, but hate the ash buildup for a smoke. Fortunately the Klose Grill Chef has a great ash drawer so cleanout during a smoke is a snap. (unlike the old Charbroil offset).
Agree with you on the mesquite, not a big fan either. Just picked up a bag of Wicked Good, once again didn't read the label, it said imported, I thought it was all made up in Maine, supposedly doesn't have a strong taste so can flavor with some wood chunks, just heard from a local orchard so might have a new connection for apple & peach. Congrats on your Klose, good luck and thanks

I've been using stubbs or the "Chef's Select" RO (diff from red bag briqs) all hardwood charcoal briqs in the UDS.
2 full lit chimneys and then a couple of unlit large chunks of Lazzari lump (all mesq, but massive log-like chunks) and a couple of chunks of apple or pecan on top of the briqs.

This way I get the temp control of briqs, a small amount of the lump smoke combined with the apple/pecan. Haven't done ribs yet this method but butts & briskys turn out with a great smokieness... not as heavy as it usually is with MM in the UDS.

Back