MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Zedsdead
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Beginner question re: cooking times

What is the reccommend cooking time for spare ribs and chicken breasts on a wood burning grill?
Zedsdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
mgwerks
Full Fledged Farker

It's going to be hard to get any kind of meaningful response to your question without more facts. Additionally, when you are smoking, you really ought to be cooking to temperature, not the clock, and the times will vary with pit type and size, fuel, weather meat preparation, and procedure.

What kind of pit are you using? Fuel? How are ribs or chicken prepped? What temp will you be smoking at?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedsdead View Post
What is the reccommend cooking time for spare ribs and chicken breasts on a wood burning grill?
Wow, that's a tough question to answer. There are so many variables.

Hot coals...
Medium hot coals...

Direct...
Indirect...

Can you give us a little more information how how you are cooking these things. I'm sure we can come up with something to help.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwerks View Post
It's going to be hard to get any kind of meaningful response to your question without more facts. Additionally, when you are smoking, you really ought to be cooking to temperature, not the clock, and the times will vary with pit type and size, fuel, weather meat preparation, and procedure.

What kind of pit are you using? Fuel? How are ribs or chicken prepped? What temp will you be smoking at?

All of what he said is important.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Zedsdead
Knows what a fatty is.

It seems like alot of ppl cook meats for 3.5+ hours. I am looking to cook mainly steak, chicken breast, ribs, chicken thighs and brisket and I want to learn to cook competition type quality (have alrdy enrolled in barbecue classes with competition teams which start next month), but I work full time and want to get my barbecuing done quickly for dinner after work. Is there a way I can cut cooking times down usig higher temperatures or different grills so I can cook the foods I listed in a short amount of time without sacrificing quality too much?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
It seems like alot of ppl cook meats for 3.5+ hours. I am looking to cook mainly steak, chicken breast, ribs, chicken thighs and brisket and I want to learn to cook competition type quality (have alrdy enrolled in barbecue classes with competition teams which start next month), but I work full time and want to get my barbecuing done quickly for dinner after work. Is there a way I can cut cooking times down usig higher temperatures or different grills so I can cook the foods I listed in a short amount of time without sacrificing quality too much?

What time frame are you looking for?
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Zedsdead
Knows what a fatty is.

2 hours or less would be Ideal for me

Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Boy, two hours or less is tough, try eggs (ug) or ABT's

You really need to think realistically BBQ is low and SLOW!!

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
jason
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
This is really all semantics, but I consider grilling to be cooking on an outdoor cooker at a high, usually, direct heat. For the most part, I grill steaks and chicken breasts. These are fast cooks, usually done in less than an hour.

I consider smoking to be cooking on an outdoor cooker at a low indirect heat. I smoke ribs, brisket, pork shoulders, and chicken. This tends to be a slow cook and is usually referred to as cooking low'n'slow. When I refer to BBQ, I refer to smoked meats. Other people consider BBQ anything grilled or smoked. BBQ competitions (and most of the guys on this forum) will tend to have the same point of view about BBQ that I do.

You may or may not have read about hot'n'fast BBQ but that's still no where near as fast as grilling. It's just fast relative to cooking low'n'slow. (IE instead of cooking a brisket at 225F for 12 hours you cook it at 300F for 7 hours).

Large Big Green Egg
22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

If you have 2 hours and a hot smoker then i think you can smoke sausages, burgers, fatties, abts, chicken pieces, fish,vegs.
Did you tell us what you are cooking on?
That will make a difference in time needed to get the smoker ready.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, 2 hours or less, you are definitely looking more towards "grilling" than "barbequeing". But, you can still get some good smoke flavor while grilling.

Steaks and chicken: I like to set my griller with fire on one side only. I have a custom grill that only covers half of the "griller". I move it to the non-fire side, and smoke the mewat for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, then I move the grill to the fire side, and cook until done. For steaks ands chicken, this entire process runs roughly 2 to 2 1/2 hours, depnding on how long it takes to get the coals going.

Here's the grill(er) I work with..

MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
Zedsdead
Knows what a fatty is.

I haven't picked my grill yet, was originally going to go with traegers but I'm not leaning towards a green egg. Based on these responses I think I will grill chick thighs/breasts and steak on work nights and I can do ribs/briakets on weekends when I have more time. I'll probably buy both and use the traeger for ribs briskets (longer cooks) and use the green egg for chicken and steak uring the week (quicker cooks).

Does my thinking make sense?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

By your opening thread, I take it you haven't done much in the way of cooking. All the advice above is excellent, and this is really a fun hobby to try to master. Before you sink a bunch of cash into smokers/eggs/etc., why don't you try out a decent gas grill? You get rapid heat, excellent temperature control, and you can add smoke flavor very easily, and lots of versatility.

Better yet, you can learn to cook and have some tasty success while youre at it!

Good luck!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
jason
Full Fledged Farker

I started out with gas grills, but I prefer my Egg, now. I think a Big Green Egg will do everything you are looking for. They are very versatile. They can get up to 700F-800F for steakhouse-like steaks or you can go 20 hours at 225F on a single load of lump for your brisket cooks.

As an alternative, you could also look at a Weber Kettle. They are great grills for a fraction of the price of the BGE. You can also setup indirect cooks on the kettle for ribs and brisket, but the Kettle won't be near as efficient as the BGE.

Large Big Green Egg
22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
jason is offline   Reply With Quote