• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wireless Remote Thermometers at Comps

NelsonC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
In planning for my first contest in October, I was thinking about whether or not I should use a wireless thermometer. How many teams use wireless thermometers at comps? Do you ever have problems with the frequencies conflicting with a neighbors thermometer? It seems to me that if everyone was using them, you have a good chance of picking up someone else's temp.

TIA
-Nelson

I made a mistake by purchasing 2 wireless thermometers of the same brand. Got home and started to smoke a couple of Boston Butts and realized they were both reading only one temperature. I went to the manufacturers website to see if I could do something to fix the problem and there was no fix. I had to go out and purchase a different name brand thermometer to be able to use them simultaneously.

I have used a wireless thermometer for a while now, and as far as I know, I have not picked up any other competitors reading.

Hmmmm...wondering now if that was my problem in Kettering...:icon_shy

i have had problems with wireless at comp not working right. i have now 3 hot wired, way i see it i am at the comp spot the whole time takes 2 secs to walk to check

We've used used up to 4 Maverick ET-73's in one camp at the same time and never had an issue with them cross reading on our own recievers, much less a neighbor. I had read stuff from people that have claimed they get cross readings, but as long you go with a good unit and not a cheapy off the back wall at Target, you'll be fine.

With the ET-73s it also helps if you get the first one (both parts) up & running before you turn on one of the other units. Don't ask how I know this :rolleyes:.

We don't use them at comps at all..Now I just use a basic grill thermometer and only a cheap version of a thermapen.

We use 2 ET-73s at comps and the only problem I've had was when one kept loosing it's signal. Fresh batteries fixed that. If you don't have them on your check list add fresh batteries for everything.

Tom

I have used wireless thermos at all of my comps and have never had any problem. My only word of advice is to make sure you have a backup incase you need it I use a BLUE thermapen since they are the fastest and most accurate.

I've never had problems with my ET-73, but I did have problems with the cheap wireless one I bought at walmart. As soon as I turned it on I got a reading of 215 degrees. The guy next to us was using the same one to monitor his pit.

Back