Brinkmann Smoke 'n' Pit Mods

I noticed one of your mods was to extend the stack more into the cooking chamber. Doesn't that cause an excess of smoke in the chamber or am I way off course?

Don't put your meat on until you have thin blue smoke coming out your smoke stack if you are worried about excess smoke. Heat and smoke rise. So by extending your smokestack to your grate, it helps to even the temperature throughout the cooking chamber.

The four mods I recommend are:

1. extending the smokestack to the grate
  2. building a charcoal basket and raising it up from where the current grate is
  3. install a couple of thermometers closer to the cooking grate
  4. and lastly make a baffle

I'm not much for metal fabrication, so I haven't made a baffle yet. I have done the other 3 mods. Unmodded, my temperature variance was about 100 degrees hotter near the firebox than near the smokestack. After I did all the mods except the baffle, my temp variance is still about 50 degrees.

My Smoke N Pit has been neglected though, since I got my BGE. I'm sure I'll use my SnP again, but its definitely a lot more work.

Don't put your meat on until you have thin blue smoke coming out your smoke stack if you are worried about excess smoke. Heat and smoke rise. So by extending your smokestack to your grate, it helps to even the temperature throughout the cooking chamber.

The four mods I recommend are:

1. extending the smokestack to the grate
  2. building a charcoal basket and raising it up from where the current grate is
  3. install a couple of thermometers closer to the cooking grate
  4. and lastly make a baffle
I'm not much for metal fabrication, so I haven't made a baffle yet. I have done the other 3 mods. Unmodded, my temperature variance was about 100 degrees hotter near the firebox than near the smokestack. After I did all the mods except the baffle, my temp variance is still about 50 degrees.

My Smoke N Pit has been neglected though, since I got my BGE. I'm sure I'll use my SnP again, but its definitely a lot more work.
what he said.i extended my baffle recently by hammering a cookie sheet flat.- cheap but it works.

Anyone else have pics of their baffle? Or extended smoke stack? Just trying to get some ideas of how to do this.

Sell it on Craigslist and build a drum with the proceeds. :mrgreen:

You'll never get it to stop leaking air or completely stop it from having a hotspot at the chamber end, and it will always burn more fuel than a drum.

Does the Sn'P have an ash door on the firebox? I have a co-worker that is having fits and was trying to help him with the mods and he said his only has one door? And I was at a class and a guy had one with no ash door and a hole where the thermometer mounts and was wondering if these were worth modding?

Edit: OK I saw Kidcurrys link and it is the same pit. I'll hook him up with the link.
I'll pass on smokeandbeers advice too!

Back