Gravity feed vs conventional smoker design

jeffjenkins1

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK, I plan on building a smoker next year and I cannot decide between a gravity feed system similar to a Stumps or a more conventional designed vertical smoker with the firebox on the bottom.

I use to be a fabricator before, and I am a certified welder, so I could build any style. I think I narrowed it down to one of these two designs.

I planned on building a gravity design 100% but then someone posted that their gravity feed smoker made the meat taste like charcoal, so that is the only reason I was shying away from it.

What do the Brethren think?

Jeff

I promise I will get a signature one of these days.

If I had the skills and equipment I would build a vertical cooker, Backwoods, Spicewine style. Large capacity, long burn time and less labor intensive to operate than some of the stick burners. Of course you may like that type of tending the fire action. You got to get what you like. What are you cooking on now?

OK, I plan on building a smoker next year and I cannot decide between a gravity feed system similar to a Stumps or a more conventional designed vertical smoker with the firebox on the bottom.

I use to be a fabricator before, and I am a certified welder, so I could build any style. I think I narrowed it down to one of these two designs.

I planned on building a gravity design 100% but then someone posted that their gravity feed smoker made the meat taste like charcoal, so that is the only reason I was shying away from it.

What do the Brethren think?

Jeff

Don't know about the meat tasting like charcoal from the gravity feed. I cooked on a Stumps for two years and never had that happen to me and I loved the gravity feed. There are plenty of people competing using a gravity feed cooker, Stumps and clones, that are winning - I would not let that comment change your decision.

The reason I sold my stumps was that I wanted a larger cooker. If I had welding talents I probably would have built a larger clone. Now I am happy as can be with a Spicewine.

Good, I am glad to hear that it doesn't taste like charcoal.

Right now I have a Char-Broil offset that I got off clearance from WM about 4 years ago (35 bucks open box). It does an ok job but is only big enough for 4 racks of ribs or two good sized butts.

My goal is to have a UDS by the end of April for use this year. Then have the clone done for next year. I would use the UDS for home and I am seriously thinking about doing small parties like B-days etc next summer.

I might go to a rib burn off or two but only time will tell.

When I think of all the scrap metal I threw into the dumpsters at work.................too painful to think about.

So that is the plan, hopefully it works out that way.

Jeff

I built a stumps clone and have been using it for almost a year. Easiest to use cooker that I have ever used and I have made some of my best bbq with it. No weird tastes here at all.

If you want a cooker that you can light and then walk away from for 10 to 20 hours it is the way to go.

Are there any places out there to order a Stumps style clone? I would like to order from Stumps but I am not having much success getting information, etc. not to mention the confusion going on with the Maple Hollow/Stumps/Viking corporate issues.

I am looking for something large like the 224 in cooking area and really like the insulated nature and gravity feed feature.

I built a stump clone,and I am going to build another.I think that the GF type are great cookers.I have done some taste testing from many types of cookers and believe what they say its the cook not the cooker.From my limited knowledge I think most of the cookers that are proudly displayed ,bragged on etc in this forum are all good cookers with avid followers.You just have to decide the features that you want and build it.
I dont know any one building clones to sell but theres a dealer network out there that should be able to help.

I built a stump clone,and I am going to build another.I think that the GF type are great cookers.I have done some taste testing from many types of cookers and believe what they say its the cook not the cooker.From my limited knowledge I think most of the cookers that are proudly displayed ,bragged on etc in this forum are all good cookers with avid followers.You just have to decide the features that you want and build it.
I dont know any one building clones to sell but theres a dealer network out there that should be able to help.

I saw your build on another forum. If I could weld and had the time I would be following your lead. Where do you get the insulation BTW?

I built 2 stumps clones for my comp trailer and have been using them for over a year now. With good success! They don't make food taste like charcoal. There about as easy to use as it can be. If you have any questions PM me and I'll help you where i can.

I have had a Stumps GF223 for over two years. No charcoal flavor yet.
Have you tried his new site? Google "stump-b-q-n". If that does not work PM me and I will give you his phone number.

This info is great. I will be on here for help when the time comes. I will also post pics of my UDS build for sure.

It will be next year before I actually build it but who knows.

Last week because of this forum I bbq'd a shoulder roast, a brisket and a chuck roast in the worst snow storm since 87.

Don't push me man! I'll crack!

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Nice to see a brethren neighbor. If you'ld like you're more than welcome to come up and see my Stumps GF 223 and judge for yourself if the food tastes like charcoal. I've won several awards with this smoker, got three calls with it last year at New Holland, PA.

P.S. If your a Buckeye Fan you'll like the custom paintjob!:-D

Back