MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #7846
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Based on that picture, I'm wondering if you could grind the outer edge of the top of the barrel and use the top as a lid. Thoughts?

Yes, this is my first post. I've only made it 90 pages into this thread while monitoring the end of the thread as well.
Claude, you may be on to something here. Instead of de-heading a closed drum and searching for a lid, your idea may work with some very careful grinding.
What you have on a closed drum,are 4 layers of metal tightly squeezed together,unlike the picture.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #7847
Bama323
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm845 View Post
Brothers...quick story about the power of the UDS.

My buddy borrowed my drum to cater a party he was attending. It seems his XL BGE couldn't handle all of the food so he needed my hillbilly smoker to cook 40lbs of chix...which it did flawlessly!

He picks up my barrel in the morning and stuffs everything into his truck. I get a frantic call about half hour later...he was doing 90 on the highway because he was late and the barrel lifted 100 feet into the air and crashed in traffic. He said cars dove out of the way like the BIG ONE at Talladega!! Charcoal, grates, lid, firebox, clamps...all over the road and not a single wreck! He tried to recover as much as he could frogger style but the grates were toast.

As he's on the phone telling me this story I hear a smash and a litany of four letter words. Yep...he smashed a deer while he was telling me about the destruction of my drum! Classic. Keep in mind he still had to get to this party and cook all this food (9 racks, pizzas, chix) and do it on a truck with the front basically ripped off!

I ran to the depot and bought 2 grates and headed to help him out. Got busy with a hammer and pounded the UDS back into round. Slammed the lid down and used a foil gasket to seal it up. Aside from some serious scrapes of the custom paint and a fat dent near the valve...it worked perfect!!!

This ordeal motivated me to finally break out my harbor freight flux welder and teach myself how to weld. Took a flat lid from another barrel and welded the weber dome to it and then cut out the inside. Tighter seal than when I used the lock ring and clamp!! Got a shoulder and a chuck roast in as we speak for a BBQ tonight! Pics included...remember, not one lesson on the god awful welds! NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE UDS!
Attachment 52004

Attachment 52005

Attachment 52006

Awesome story!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #7848
Claude
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
Claude, you may be on to something here. Instead of de-heading a closed drum and searching for a lid, your idea may work with some very careful grinding.
What you have on a closed drum,are 4 layers of metal tightly squeezed together,unlike the picture.
Well, I'll be the guinea pig. I have access to some closed drums that I have been eyeing for my first build. I probably won't get a chance to do anything for at least a week. But, I'll report back when I do.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #7849
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Claude,if you can,do most of your grinding on the bottom side of the rolled edge. This will give you some material that can be pried open for a potentially good fitting lid. Good luck. Remember only grind through 1 layer of metal.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #7850
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
Claude,if you can,do most of your grinding on the bottom side of the rolled edge. This will give you some material that can be pried open for a potentially good fitting lid. Good luck. Remember only grind through 1 layer of metal.
We found when grinding through it's pretty easy to see the separation as you get through so this may really work. On "Daleks" drum it had been full of olive oil and it actually seeped out as he ground through.

Even on the thin one you still have to be deliberate to get through it. Just keep the flat of the wheel on the surface, staying away from the edge of the wheel, which can dig in pretty quickly.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #7851
otis
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
We found when grinding through it's pretty easy to see the separation as you get through so this may really work. On "Daleks" drum it had been full of olive oil and it actually seeped out as he ground through.

Even on the thin one you still have to be deliberate to get through it. Just keep the flat of the wheel on the surface, staying away from the edge of the wheel, which can dig in pretty quickly.
This works great! I've made my last 2 using this method. I just grind around the outside until I can see the separation. Use a flat-blade screwdriver like a chisel to break the lid lose, and off you go. By grinding on the outside of the lip, the lid has enough lip left to seal with no problem. Keep that screwdriver handy--you may need it the first time you open the drum for a new smoking session. Once it's warmed up, I just use the chimney (6" length of pipe screwed into the bung hole) as a handle.

Run some sandpaper around the edge of the lid ASAP so you don't slice your fingers--that sucker will be sharp!! (ask me how I know...).
Oh yeah, before popping the lid off, find the vertical seam on the barrel, and grind a small notch in the edge of the lid. Use the notch to align the lid when you put it back on--Most of these drums aren't "perfectly" round...

I'll check in the morning if I get up early enough and try to post a pic of the notch. It doesn't have to be very big, just enough you can find it.

I have had to continue grinding even after the lid pops off in order to get the diameter small enough a Weber lid will fit. Don't worry about taking too much off.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #7852
TBS-BBQ
Got Wood.

Read the majority of this thread, dang it's long. Anyway, my son and I are starting our build tonight. I got the barrel sand blasted, due to a burn ban here, but the rest is pretty much following the guidelines here. I'll see about some pics of the build.
TBS-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #7853
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Well gonna have to add my latest to the Mother of all threads.

Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #7854
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Man, that rig is all decked out. Been wondering what I could with my leftover bones.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #7855
Skidder
Babbling Farker

It might have some junk on it but it's still a basic k.i.s.s. model. Even though it has a door and a lid they both now have gaskets and both have the latches to keep them airtight. I nicknamed it the Redneck Bone Burner.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #7856
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

skidder - nice looking rig. hey i see your here in massachusetts too. spend many a weekend partying out at Westfield State back in the early 80's. i'm over in marlboro. you wouldn't happen to have our uds build plans in a tidy document for sharing would you? i just got home after picking up 4 55 gallon steel drums to give this UDS build a shot. Stilll muddling through this huge string to get my plans together. Again, nice job with the redncek bone burner.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #7857
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Guess what I live less than 1/2 mile from Westfield State right on your way down by that corner store. Nope no plans I just go out to the garage look at it,crack a beer,drill a hole then repeat the process.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #7858
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

oh well,figured i'd ask. frrom what i readd its not that difficult. looking to get started over the weekend. have to burn first. i see references to some of the food grade drums having liners. these look like they just have a coat of paint. they held cranbury juice concentrate. not sure i'll get as fancy as you but who knows by the time i get to the 4th one.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #7859
Skidder
Babbling Farker

There's tons of info out there between this thread and YouTube etc.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #7860
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Alvin View Post
skidder - nice looking rig. hey i see your here in massachusetts too. spend many a weekend partying out at Westfield State back in the early 80's. i'm over in marlboro. you wouldn't happen to have our uds build plans in a tidy document for sharing would you? i just got home after picking up 4 55 gallon steel drums to give this UDS build a shot. Stilll muddling through this huge string to get my plans together. Again, nice job with the redncek bone burner.
Do a search for Norco's plans" IF A REDNECK" and you will find eveything ya need to know to build a basic one.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker