Beef Short Ribs Question

GT-Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been given about 15 lbs of beef shorties to smoke this weekend. How many people will that feed?

You can usually figure about a 50-60% yield from pre-cook weight, maybe a little more if it's bone-in. That would put your post-cook weight at about 9 pounds. If you figure each pound would feed 3 people (5.3 oz. per person) that would give you 27 people. Do you think people would eat more than that? Less? Adjust accordingly. Those are just ballpark numbers to get you started.

I would figure more like 45% yield from short ribs (I assume you mean short ribs and not plate end short ribs). Thus, 20 people on the outside, 15 if they are meat eaters.

The short plate ribs I cooked last weekend were about a pound per rib uncooked. Two ribs cooked was a very large portion, one rib was about enough for us, with the side dishes, so, 15 servings is about right.

I honestly don't know what these are yet. I've not even unwrapped them. I'll get them out tonight and take a picture and post it here. Then maybe we can figure out what they are. Thanks for the help so far.

Here's what they look like. They do have thin bones.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG-20140418-00858.jpg
    IMG-20140418-00858.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 31
Back