• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Unsauced chicken

Never have. I have entertained the idea of coating the chicken in a dry rub that would have all the same basic flavors as a typical bbq sauce. It would let you keep the skin crispy.

Maybe if I ever get so rich that entry fees and prize money means nothing to me I'll give it a shot.

I've seen a box or two with dry rub only on chicken when judging, but generally I would think that they wouldn't score too well on appearance as they might look dry.

Sure do wish teams would cut down a bit on the amount of sauce used. We score as presented, but too much sauce can overpower the flavor of the meat.

I've seen a box or two with dry rub only on chicken when judging, but generally I would think that they wouldn't score too well on appearance as they might look dry.

Sure do wish teams would cut down a bit on the amount of sauce used. We score as presented, but too much sauce can overpower the flavor of the meat.

Well, it ain't like chicken is BBQ anyway...:rolleyes:

:behindsofa:

If you can turn in dry rub ribs, why would chicken be any different? I just wondered if the judges would hammer you for it.....never dreamed it would be a dq...

+1 on cutting down on the amount of sauce used on chicken. It's a meat contest, not a sauce contest.

I'm trying to think of a Texas contest that I have cooked or judged that had un-sauced chicken. Sauce can be used, just not after in the box.

Almost every Cookoff around that we go to a good dry rub brined mopped chicken places high if not wins. We never did good in chicken till we switched to a UDS. Very next Cookoff 3rd out of 57. In kcbs, don't even think about it. Some ibca's we been stomped because they wanted that glazed sweet chicken. Just depends on the area. Keep notes

So is this story one of those things that most of us will have to use our imaginations for?

Oh I have GOT to hear the reasoning behind that!

At one of the Grill Kings events on Long Island a few years back my brother came up with a method of making chicken skin nice and crisp by dipping the thigh in egg wash and coating it in flour and rub then smoking it. The thighs are delicious and become very moist and the skin very crispy and bite through. The only problem is they look like fried chicken when they come out of the smoker. Sauce makes them a bit soggy so we didn't sauce them. To be honest they tasted great without the sauce. We sent in the entry and they were disqualified as being fried. We didn't fry anything but the reps forgot that pan frying is legal and DQ'ed us. You could tell they were not deep fried. After the contest was over we got an apology from the reps.

Back