Some Pulled Chicken...

FamilyManBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Wanted to do some pulled chicken for the "pulled" throwdown. Cook didn't go as planned. I'd just gotten the birds on the kettle when....thunder, lightening, hail, a downpour...kids screaming, Mrs. FamilyMan had to be rescued from running in the rain.

Well, here's what I have of this cook.

Slathered two birds with mustard, rubbed with Yardbird...
015.jpg

019.jpg

016-1.jpg

Dug out the Weber Char-Baskets for this cook. Don't usually bother. KBB and some pecan chunks...
021.jpg

Just got things rolling when skies got real dark, started to rain.
027.jpg

Was cooking under a tarp already.
029.jpg

Then came the thunder and lightning. Ran inside to check on the kids who were very nervous (Katie was playing Wii a couple years ago when lightning struck a tree in our neighbors backyard: huge noise, exploded tree, fried Wii). While inside Mrs FamilyMan (who was out running) called and asked to be rescued from downpour. Quickly put the chix on the kettle and ran to get the wife...towels in hand.

Here's a couple pics of the spinning chicken after about 45-60 minutes. Cooking largely "unsupervised." Told the older boys to "keep an eye on things" while I was gone...
044.jpg

040.jpg

043.jpg

Lost track of total cook time. Took chicken inside when at temp. Pulled meat of the bones from comfort of dining room table.
055.jpg

052.jpg

Mixed the chicken with some Sweet Baby Ray's...our go-to off the shelf sauce from the grocery store.
058.jpg

Sorry, no pics of the sammies that we made. Had pretty much given up on using this cook for the throwdown at this point...wasn't happy with the pics I had at this point.

Made for a tasty dinner. We don't do this too often...and, I'm not sure why. Pulled chicken is some good eats. Gonna try to sneak a little spice into the next batch...maybe an SBR and Tennessee Red combo??

Thanks for checking out the cook...

Last edited:
Looks real good. :thumb: I've pulled beef and I've pulled pork, but I've never pulled chicken and will have to try it. Is there an ideal internal temp you wait to achieve when pulling chicken?

Looks real good. :thumb: I've pulled beef and I've pulled pork, but I've never pulled chicken and will have to try it. Is there an ideal internal temp you wait to achieve when pulling chicken?

I don't do anything differently than when leaving the birds whole. Cooked to @165 internal. Let it rest/cool for just a bit...used two pairs of gloves to hand-pull meat from the bones.

It's some good stuff. Give it a try, for sure!

Looks great to me too. Please send any extra rain my way. :)

Looks great! I have yet to try pulled chicken, and frankly haven't really thought to, but this looks really good and definitely worth trying - thanks for posting! :clap2:

Lookin' Good!

I've done pulled bird a couple times for a crowd and it's a fairly enexpensive way to feed alot of people in a fairly short time.

I started "pulling" chicken by accident many years ago while cleaning the bits and pieces from the carcass.
Makes great sandwiches (kinda like turkey) and several other thngs.
So, I now pull the carcass and any of the "leftover" parts that are not eaten quickly.

Good Eats!

TIM

Looks great to me too. Please send any extra rain my way. :)
I know I shouldn't complain (it could be much worse)...and, Seattle did go something like 13 weeks this summer without an inch of rainfall. Almost felt like I'd moved to sunny San Diego...almost.

Nice shots Brother!

Thanks! Been studying up on food photography a bit. Gotta win me one of them throwdowns!! :becky:

Back