Heated Cambro, Legal?

rolfejr

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to get some Cambro's and one is the heated model.
Is this legal in competition? It only runs +/- 150 degrees and states it does not cook. Do not want to run afoul of the rules.

just off the top of my head without going and getting the rules and read up on it.... I would say no. If you want, send an email to rules@kcbs.us and we will discuss it.

Have an opportunity to get some Cambro's and one is the heated model.
Is this legal in competition? It only runs +/- 150 degrees and states it does not cook. Do not want to run afoul of the rules.

For KCBS comps it would not be legal.

6) Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas
and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking
or holding.
Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, forced draft
are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at
the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not be built
on the ground.

Would it be legal if you never plugged it in? If so, it works perfectly fine to keep your food at temp without the heating agent. Just tape up the cable and don't use the electric aspects.

We will be reviewing the UPCH400 in the next issue of Smoke Signals. It was used both plugged in and not plugged in and excelled at both.

Eric

don't plug it in, cover it with tape, and tell the rep if you're really concerned.

I wouldn't do take an electric cambro to a comp. That's just opening yourself up to other teams "talking".

You care about what other people say about you behind their back? If they're saying something bad about you behind your back in stead of to your face, they're probably not good people. That's my take on it.

dmp

It's not legal for comps, but $150 is too good of a deal to pass up.

I haven't seen a heated Cambro, but there has to be a way to service the heating elements and wiring. If it has a service cover, can you remove it to pull the plug wire off the wiring? Might just be a couple of screws and the whole plug wire can be removed. Then you can use it at comps with no worries. If you want to use it for something else later, then you just reattach the plug wire.

You care about what other people say about you behind their back? If they're saying something bad about you behind your back in stead of to your face, they're probably not good people. That's my take on it.

dmp
There must be a plethora of bad people in BBQ then, because they gossip like a bunch of old women.

When cooks are left to police themselves and other teams, the appearance of impropriety can cause nearly as many problems as a genuine transgression.

I consider it to be neither your job nor mine to look for reasons to call other competitors cheaters. None of my friends from the BBQ trail sit around and insult the character of other teams behind their backs. I'm guessing we just hang out with different crowds of people or maybe it's regional? I've only seen that here on The Brethren and honestly don't consider myself friends with those who do.

If it's the same heated cambro I looked at, the heater in the door, it can be removed with just a few screws. I was going to remove for comps and use for catering. Asking price was $300 so was too rich for me.

dmp

I say "if people are talking behind my back ... they are in the perfect location to kiss my arse!" :) Old quote from someone that I dont remember who

1) The decision and interpretations of the KCBS Rules
and Regulations are at the discretion of the KCBS Contest
Representatives at the contest. Their decisions and
interpretations are final to the extent consistent with the
rules.

6) Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas
and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking
or holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, forced draft
are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at
the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not be built​
on the ground.

This can be debated here, as long as you like. At the end of the day you better be sure that your contest Reps are on board with it.

dmp

I care greatly what other people say about me or my team. Every single thing we do is legal and we don't hide a lick of what we do. At the end of the day, our reputation will either raise me up or bring me down. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone questioning a single thing I do so I would pass on the great deal.

I also strongly feel that if people are talking about something illegal or possibly illegal that a team is doing they respect the competition, the commitment teams make, the resources it takes to compete, and they want a level playing field. That's not a bad person in my mind. If they are saying my logo is stupid, I like my pork butts a bit too much, that I'm ugly, etc to other people behind my back that's a different matter entirely.

I care greatly what other people say about me or my team. Every single thing we do is legal and we don't hide a lick of what we do. At the end of the day, our reputation will either raise me up or bring me down. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone questioning a single thing I do so I would pass on the great deal.

I think we're just gonna have to disagree here. Everything I do is legal too, and I go to lengths to discuss things with the KCBS office and reps to verify questionable decisions. That said, if a disrespectful cry-baby is going to insult me and my integrity behind my back, I have no intent on changing my decisions to apease that person. If you have an issue, talk to me about it.

I also strongly feel that if people are talking about something illegal or possibly illegal that a team is doing they respect the competition, the commitment teams make, the resources it takes to compete, and they want a level playing field. That's not a bad person in my mind.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying above, but I'll try to explain my opinions succinctly:

I do not walk around a competition looking for rules infractions.

If I think I happen to notice a rules infraction, I would tell the organizer or the rep.

I think it's innappropriate for people to say "I think team X is bunch of cheaters" unless they have been caught doing it or you have pictures. Otherwise, your being slanderous.

dmp

Back