• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef Shoulder Clod

Bigdog......there was a writeup about this in the Bull Sheet either last month or the month before. I can't remember exactly what was said though. Did anybody else see that article? It was either an article or editorial.

If somebody doesn't answer before I get home, I'll reread it and post.

Basically, a Beef Clod is roughly the same cut of beef as the Boston Butt is for a pig. The shoulder. A whole clod will weight at least 20 pounds, sometimes much more. Commonly sold as Chuck Roast in most markets. A double thick 7-bone roast makes a good hunk of meat to bbq.

Hmm...does a chuck roast cook and pull the way a butt will? If so, what's the drill?

Pretty much so, DWFII. I cook to internal temp of 160 or so, then foil it and continue to 190, then put it in cooler, or in turned-off oven in kitchen [wrapped in towel] for a couple of hours. This will give you pullable meat. Actuallly, that is about the same way I do brisket too. Cook at low temp. 200-220 range.

The clod is basically the upper shoulder. It can be seperated into its different muscles and used different ways. We used to break down clods at the restaurant for roasts, cutlets (chicken fried steak, etc.), and grind a bunch of it for our burgers, chop steaks, etc.

Very versatile piece of meat - just lots of it. :D

http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=9

Right on, Dave. That is why I like Beef Shoulder so much for the smoker. It is a versatile piece of meat. Of course most of us will not cook a whole beef shoulder, just like we do not usually cook a whole hog shoulder, or whole hog, at least not at home, and not normally. But a chunk of beef shoulder gives you several different muscles, a lot off connetive tissue, and when cooked, a lot of various textures and tastes.
Not to disparage the brisket, of course. I love that ornery cut, and cook it a lot--sometimes i even get it right. :D

The clod is basically the upper shoulder. It can be seperated into its different muscles and used different ways. We used to break down clods at the restaurant for roasts, cutlets (chicken fried steak, etc.), and grind a bunch of it for our burgers, chop steaks, etc.

Very versatile piece of meat - just lots of it. :D

http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=9

This link brings me to a 404 error page. Can you repost it? Does it have butchering info?

Hmm...does a chuck roast cook and pull the way a butt will? If so, what's the drill?

Yes it does. Treat it as a very large pork butt. The tastiest BBQ I've ever created was made from chuck.

It's great for leftovers, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, chili, brunswick stew, omelets etc.

This link brings me to a 404 error page. Can you repost it? Does it have butchering info?

Right below the 404 error message is a link to Homepage ~ that will get you where you need to be. Or try this:

http://www.beeffoodservice.com/recipecut.aspx?id=227

beef-diagram-big.gif

Mine is #2 above ~ Beef Shoulder ~ 43 lbs. worth! :becky:

100_0612.jpg

Last edited:
Is the name beef clod an east cost thing? I asked my butcher and he just stared at me lol.

That's because most butchers nowadays unpack boxes of pre-cut cryovac meats, repackage and place on the retail shelf. They really have no clue, and don't spend the time to learn what they are selling. FACT!

They are too busy cashing their paychecks, and forgetting about what a miserable job they have. FACT!. All the meat folks around here fit the model to the tee.

I wish there were real educated meat cutters around here. But it isn't going to happen. You'd think they would jump online once a week to learn something, but it just doesn't happen.

I've quoted IMPS numbers to all the local meat stackers (that's all they do), and they still act like I'm a fool. Eff 'em all.

Sorry for the rant, but it is so true. I'm so peed off asking for cuts, and getting that "I have no idea" look back.

Ok, so here is the main question. If I get a chuck roast? What is a great recipe, not a good recipe, but a great one. To cook it.

Back