bye bye brick pit, hello new pit. What to get?

S

S-L-A-C-K-E-R

Well, after much agonizing decision making, I have decided to tear down my brick bbq pit modification project. See link to thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88895

It just didn't work the way I wanted it to. I had ideas for some major modifications but after pricing out the pieces, I would probably spend around $1000 to do all the changes I have in mind. And, it's still not guaranteed to work after those changes. I've had fun messing with it, but it's just taking up too much space in my little yard. I'm running out of good reasons to keep it around, so it's got to go.

The good news is that I'm planning on using the $1000 I had planned to spend on the brick pit mods towards a new smoker. So what should I get? Offset smoker, egg, pellet pooper? What would you guys recommend for a newbie in this price range? I only need enough capacity for a small group of people (8-10).

Also, I have the bricks and parts to the old pit for sale. Bricks for free if you'll come pick 'em up and all the other parts for a fraction of what I paid for them. Local buyers only (Pittsburgh area). pm me for details. :thumb:

I love my WSM. It's a great smoker, easy to use, and inexpensive. However, it doesn't grill, so you'd have to have something for high temp cooking. You could get a BGE which would serve all your needs. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions.

I love my WSM. It's a great smoker, easy to use, and inexpensive. However, it doesn't grill, so you'd have to have something for high temp cooking. You could get a BGE which would serve all your needs. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions.

Cool. I'll check out the WSM.

Grilling is not a necessity. It would be a nice bonus since our grill is getting a little old, but the main purpose would be for smoking.

I'd go with the egg.

But I'm biased. :heh:

I say that primarily because it will hold smoking temps (225* to 300*) perfectly in the coldest winter months without much attention at all.

If I was in your shoes I would get a WSM and a Performer.
Should be able to do that under budget, you will have two great cookers that will last forever, and you will have smoking and grilling covered.

Should be able to do that under budget, you will have two great cookers that will last forever, and you will have smoking and grilling covered.
What he said.:thumb:

Good idea indeed. Also you will have more than some left over to put towards a little lnading area to put your new Webers as well.
Or of that is not needed, you will have a nice meat allowance left over too.

I'd love to have a brick pit like that in my backyard. My grandpa used to cook on one.

Anyways, not sure what you are looking for in a smoker. For set it and forget it, you can't go wrong with a WSM or a BGE.

So sad to see the pit go.

If you did a Weber kettle and a BGE (or reasonably made knockoff); you can do pretty much anything. Except a pig. :rolleyes:

I've got a performer and UDS and it's definitely a sweet set up but if I had $1k budget I woulda probably gone with an egg or kamado plus a nest. Good luck with your decision.

-Lag

$1k?

2 drums, a performer, ez up and a kegerator! with $$$ left over!

If it were me and I had the money, I'd go with an egg and a kettle. But, if I had even more money, I'd go with an egg and a Jambo or a Lang.

Need to buy a good offset of course they will cost a little more.

How difficult is it to work with an offset? I have a 2 year old that likes to use me as a jungle gym 24/7. I really don't have the time to babysit a fire. I need something that is relatively low maintenence. I can't be checking on the thing every 10 minutes. It doesn't necessarily need to be completely "set it and forget it", but if I can get by with checking on it once or twice an hour, I think I'll be able to juggle that and a 2 year old at the same time.

$1k?

2 drums, a performer, ez up and a kegerator! with $$$ left over!

^^^^^^^
this sounds like a sweet set up to me for the money but might i also suggest, in keeping with your budget, a backwoods chubby.

Back