Cook time and reload of a 22" WSM, and an ouch!

speedrcer1

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am only getting about 9 hours with a full load of charcoal in the WSM ring plus one chimney. I've heard of other guys getting a lot more time. I cook between 225 and 250, no more.

Also, when you add fuel, how do you do it?

Any advice?

Reason this is a problem, did an overnight smoke this weekend. About 8 AM I needed to add fuel. Started another chimney to add. Had a small rectangular grill top that I used like a chute. All coals fell in except one that fell to the cement patio. Closed the door, moved the errant coal out of harms way, and there it was, a 3/8" coal that I did not see. Did I mention that it was 8AM. I was in socks. Yup, stepped right on that lit coal. :mad2:
I'll survive with a limp from the burn for a few days. A nice 2nd degree. Okay a mistake I'll never make again. Brethren take note.

How did you fill the chamber and what brand of charcoal did you use? Did you just dump the unlit in there? I have an 18.5 WSM and my chamber is smaller than yours. I got about 15-16 hours on one load of BlueK.

I took the time to stack all the bricks. Start out by laying charcoal around the inside of the ring, then another layer inside of that and so on. The start another level and do the same. It creates a packed ring and slower burn rate.

I don't think the 22.5 is quite as efficient as the 18.5 with fuel, but I also get 15+ hours on a full load of charcoal cooking in that temp range. I typically use the minion method and put about 12-14 lit coals in the middle...

I'm able to get 12 hours easily with mine. I use Stubbs or Kingsfords briquettes. What type of fuel do you use? How many lit coals do you start off with?

That's your problem. You're starting off with way too many lit coals. Start with about 15-20 lit coals max and let her get up to to temp slowly. You should be able to get 12 hours fairly easy.

Sounds to me like a lot of lit coals. Consider using about 12 to 14 as noted above. See how that works out for you.

Back