temp gauge

cfraz smoke

Found some matches.
Reaction score
hows the best way to check how accurate a temp gauge is? I used an ET-73 this past weekend on the UDS for the first time and their was a big difference between the gauge and probe temps. need a way to check them?

What kind of guage were you using? The best way to check is to boil some water and see if the guage/probes show 212*. Remember though, temps in a UDS will vary greatly depending on height in the barrel and location at that level. Were you using any sort of diffuser? Tell us about your setup and we can be of better help.

wow I was just going to start a post on the same topic. I have a UDS just got a et-73 and its showing 235* while my old gauge are showing under 200. I was using a generic screw in temp gauge from home depot. and its sitting about 2 inches under the et-73 probe

im useing a 4 inch gauge from river country. its placed about a 1/4 inch under the top rack. which is down about 2 inch from top of barrel. it was showing 28 degrees differance.

Was the ET-73 probe directly above the tip of the 4 inch gauge? Regardless, there still is a large temp difference as the air rises. I would check them in boiling water first and see. Then you can try dangling the probe right next to the end of the gauge to see if that has a huge difference. Also, its typical that if you are not using any sort of diffuser then your heat will drastically increase as you get closer to the center of the grate.

Thanks for the tips on checking the gauge and probe. I do have a diffuser, it is a large water pan about 24 inches from the bottom. This just shows how modern technology works on your nerves, if I hadn't submitted to it I wouldn't have had these problems.

Back