• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Helping my kid during Kids Q question

Smokin Mike

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a question, I been teaching my son (7years old) how to turn meat, season, and putting the product in a box, my problem, and his is, he can't open the lid all the way on the smoker. I been thinking about modifying it for his height, but rather just leave it alone.

My question is, can I help him opening and closing the lid during kidsQ ?

Thanks guys!

Is it that the lid is too heavy for him or that he is too short? If it's because of his height, would standing on a step stool help? I'm no expert on this, but MHO is safety first!

The kids Q in Marshalltown has a rule that parents can help with things like fire management. I suspect that if you contact the organizers they will be pretty flexible with that sort of thing. You can't actually prep or cook the meat, but I'm certain they will let you help with that sort of thing.

As an organizer who has kids I would consider that ok ultimately it could be a safety thing. Because of that I bought my son a walmart cheap grill that has been lowered and lid is hinged and he can open it easily. He still struggles with a weber kettle lid.

As an organizer who has kids I would consider that ok ultimately it could be a safety thing. Because of that I bought my son a walmart cheap grill that has been lowered and lid is hinged and he can open it easily. He still struggles with a weber kettle lid.

A smokey Joe works great, too. But it's small.

For our Kids Q we will be providing EZ Grills for everybody. That way no one has an

equipment advantage and everyone is on equal footing. My understanding too, is that there can be help with fire management.

Hope this helps. And good luck to the aspiring cook.

when my son did the kids-q in new holland he needed help with the lid and fire, i talked to the orgenizer and told him what i was their for and he had no problem with that, my sons safty comes first.

safety is priority... my son was 9 last year and I only had to help with starting the fire, dumping chimney in his smokey joe and he did the rest... prep, spice, form, cook, temp, sauce, presentation, turn-in. Most of the kids q' also state that any knife/cutting needs should be handled by the parent... but we never needed that in making hamburgers.

I intend on teaching him more about starting and handling fire this season. When he turns 11 in August and changes KidsQ age groups, he should be a pro and can do it all.

Back