MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #46
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

So, should I get a PBC or not?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #47
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

YES-IMHO

If you like the words," honey this is the best yet" then get a PBC. I cook on a lot of different cookers, several times per week. My intentions were to buy USA Made and support an Armed Forces Veteran owned company. What I got was a "go-to"
Fun cooker.

Everyone has their own folkways, mores, ticks and habits when it comes to cooking. Looking for a recommendation? Buy it.

Looking for a discussion between the merits of The Pit Barrel Cooker and a home made Ugly Drum Smoker? I can't help you as I've never owned or cooked on a UDS- but the brethren here who do-rave about their results.

It's just an observation, but most who criticize the PBC do not have it listed in their signature as an owner, or beers by their avatar. Maybe buy a beer and drink a few would calm their angst. There are several cookers I'm going to try before my wife takes me to be turned to ashes.

Last edited by 16Adams; 01-02-2014 at 08:21 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #48
Arristillius
Got Wood.

Because money donated and signatures mean everything? How much one spends posting here as in post counts doesn't translate to real world anything FYI

My experience with the pbc comes from being in the Portland area where craigslist is spammed regularly so that I can't look for uds parts without stumbling on the ad.

I am about to start on uds number five because my neighbors or friends experience the food I Cook on it and want one. So I sell mine for cost of parts and build another.

Going the cheapest easiest fool proof uds is 178 for the bps kit and 20-30 for a barrel. With a weed burner and a $10 can of BBQ paint you have a uds in 2-4 hours.

One of my friends didn't ask much about the smoker I was using aside from asking how I seasoned and cooked the brisket.. He went on craigslist and bought a pbc.

I spent two weekends helping him learn on it being as he is completely new to slower cooking he didn't like the air intake setup that assumed everything is cooked at the same temp. And I don't blame him for that. I still can't decide if low and slow or hot and fast is the best so I do both... I Cook chicken hot and brisket not so hot, running a maverick in the pbc with a probe hanging on a hook he got temps between 275-350 depending on the day and the wind maybe, of course he is convinced by his family that low and slow is gold. So every Cook involves adjusting the pit and as a result it sits unused, sure he could ignore pit temp and guess but I personally think ignoring variables leads to unpredictable results.

now I preface every discussion about BBQ and how I Cook it by warning against the pbc before they find it on their own.
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #49
Fwismoker

I think if i wanted a 30 gallon UDS that shut down and save the charcoal without covering up a bunch of holes, cook for 15-20 hours, has a built in therm, has multiple racks, can smoke grill or sear and can hang meat if i choose i'd just build my own.

The concept on the PBC is good but has many design flaws for something that costs almost 300 dollars.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #50
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

While Arristillius may have been harsh in his approach, I think the underlying concern of his post is valid.

"What was the point of resurrecting this thread 6 months after it was finished?"- is a fair question to ask, imo.

Unless someone has been in a coma or practicing Tibetan Monk chanting in the Himalayas for the past half year w/ no internet access, why now?

Just wondering.

As for the PBC--- like the Thermapen, it has little appeal to me due to similar, and/or more versatile products (rt600C/WSM for examples) available for less cost. (I know this makes me a pariah).

Of course, whether a Brethren or anyone else builds/sells/buys these things makes no difference to me. Whatever gets you through the night, as they say.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #51
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Just my $.02. Every cooker I own is a tool of the trade. I use them as I determine what results I want as they all cook a bit different. As for the PBC, I think the idea is a good one and also a valid design. The issue here is that some folks may be a tad bit upset that somebody is making money on a successful design change relative to an UDS. If you want to replicate the PBC then hang meat in your WSM or try and build your own. All ideas that come from this forum generate new ideas and extended experimentation and that is an excellent byproduct of quality discussion. I truly believe if people here had the time, money and resources to the proper tools they would copy the Weber OTG..........Yes they would. But they find it a lot easier to just buy one and move onward to cooking. One day another new style of cooker will come out and it will get the same treatment, quite frankly I can't wait to see the new ideas...........
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #52
Smok'n n Joke'n
Full Fledged Farker

Smok'n n Joke'n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #53
majake
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post
As an owner and user, I would highly recommend the PBC. It works for me and it would work for you too unless you are the type of person who likes to muss and fuss with vents and dampers and wood and monitoring. For those types it may not offer the hands on barbecue experience they are looking for. Just my opinion!
majake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #54
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Since no one has asked the most important question I will.

Why is the Bull so Mad?

Is he tired of being probed, did the front of the knife need to be used on the flat, did his brisket fall off the hook or is he just tired of being asked these questions?

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #55
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post
No you can do SO much better making your own and have it do more things.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #56
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Since no one has asked the most important question I will.

Why is the Bull so Mad?

Is he tired of being probed, did the front of the knife need to be used on the flat, did his brisket fall off the hook or is he just tired of being asked these questions?
Maybe because, though we always have to put up with a little BS, it only takes one bull to service the herd.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #57
16Adams

It is interesting how a few folks in Q-talk become quite hyper about the Pit Barrel Cooker. You really don't see it when comparing Green Egg-Kamado Joe-Primo or Lang-Klose-Gator Pit-Tuscaloosa Q or Weber-Vermont Castings-Saber all these regardless of what's owned are mostly met with "I want/need one of those too" and "congratulations" "you're going to love it"

PBC- made in USA by a company owned by an armed forces veteran

That's what attracted me. The fantastic food it produces is a wonderful bonus.

I am becoming quite enamored with The Woodpile. It's a fantastic interesting part of this website����

Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #58
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Just my $.02. Every cooker I own is a tool of the trade. I use them as I determine what results I want as they all cook a bit different. As for the PBC, I think the idea is a good one and also a valid design. The issue here is that some folks may be a tad bit upset that somebody is making money on a successful design change relative to an UDS. If you want to replicate the PBC then hang meat in your WSM or try and build your own. All ideas that come from this forum generate new ideas and extended experimentation and that is an excellent byproduct of quality discussion. I truly believe if people here had the time, money and resources to the proper tools they would copy the Weber OTG..........Yes they would. But they find it a lot easier to just buy one and move onward to cooking. One day another new style of cooker will come out and it will get the same treatment, quite frankly I can't wait to see the new ideas...........

Bingo!

$269 is a good price considering the guy is running a BUSINESS and not a Charity. The guy has expenses obviously. So next time you go to buy something ask the guy to give a product at cost.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #59
Smith's Pig Pen
Full Fledged Farker

In your position, go for it. It's just a matter of somebody else makes the thing for you. I recommended a PBC to a friend who isn't mechanically inclined or much of a cook-he loves it. We love our UDS but this person was basically cooking for "one" and didn't need the full size drum. I get that.

Ultimately there is always some resentment when a niche craft gets more commercialized and automated. But ultimately that's part of what happens with exposure.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #60
Smith's Pig Pen
Full Fledged Farker

And btw Pitmaster T- that was hilarious

Tags
pbc pit barrel cooker