Stir-Friday!

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I wanted some fried rice and kung pao shrimp today. Luckily the Big Joe's heat deflector frame fits a 16" wok like a glove! Love the versatility of this kamado! Got the Big Joe up to 575F and heated the wok for a few minutes before cooking. I'm a novice woker, but am pleased with the results. Thank you for looking.

IMG_1330.jpg

shrimp & peanuts

IMG_1338.jpg

peas, carrots, onions & peppers

IMG_1343.jpg

day old rice (important)

IMG_1348.jpg

scallions

IMG_1383.jpg

garlic & red pepper flakes

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

done!

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

Man, that looks too good to be novice, I would be proud to serve that to anyone. Great cook.\

Note: I grew up with wok cooking, and learned from a couple of Chinese cooks.

Man, that looks too good to be novice, I would be proud to serve that to anyone. Great cook.\

Note: I grew up with wok cooking, and learned from a couple of Chinese cooks.

Thanks Landarc, I know you're the resident wok expert and appreciate your kind words.

This was my firs wok cook. I just received the wok yesterday from TheWokShop in San Francisco. Baked it yesterday and cooked some scallions to char per seasoning instructions. I was nervous cooking this today, thought I was going to give forearms or eyebrows a clean shave. Got the fire up to 550-575F before I started cooking, next time I'm going to shoot for 625-650F and load the wok with a bit less of food, more batches.

I have never really wanted a BGE or other insulated cooker, but, I keep seeing you guys running woks on them and would love a stand up solution of wok cooking that is really hot. Maybe I should consider a small insulated cooker.

Eyebrows.............over-rated, especially once you hit 50

Landarc - I run my wok with one of these on my weber. I can get 6-750 easy just building the fire in the middle. You just need to make sure you get a wok big enough for the hole in the center......

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7420-Gourmet-System-Grate/dp/B0044EG5CA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363995793&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+grate+wok"]Amazon.com: Weber 7420 Gourmet BBQ System Sear Grate Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Luckily the Big Joe's heat deflector frame fits a 16" wok like a glove!

I've been using my cast iron wok on the cast iron grate of my Keg in the lower position, but after seeing that, now I'm wondering if I couldn't use my heat deflector's frame, too? Gonna have to try that. Thanks! :grin:

Thanks Landarc, I know you're the resident wok expert and appreciate your kind words.

This was my firs wok cook. I just received the wok yesterday from TheWokShop in San Francisco. Baked it yesterday and cooked some scallions to char per seasoning instructions. I was nervous cooking this today, thought I was going to give forearms or eyebrows a clean shave. Got the fire up to 550-575F before I started cooking, next time I'm going to shoot for 625-650F and load the wok with a bit less of food, more batches.
That is an absolutely sensational first time effort!:clap:

Gorgeous work, and your comments above are spot on.
How long was the wok over the fire before you first started cooking?
Oh, and welcome to the obsession! :yo:

Landarc - I run my wok with one of these on my weber. I can get 6-750 easy just building the fire in the middle. You just need to make sure you get a wok big enough for the hole in the center......

Amazon.com: Weber 7420 Gourmet BBQ System Sear Grate Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I really wanted something like this and moaned here about the shipping price.
Next, I get an email form Brethren champ Smokin'Aussie (Bill) and he bought a weber lookalike with a special wok grate, adapted the BBQ for his purposes (altho he may have just bsed about that to make me feel better!) and shipped me the grate!:love: :love:
There are no finer people on this planet that BBQ brethren!

That looks terrific......did you make the sauce or was it a bottled sauce?

KC

I used bottled sauce. The oyster sauce was used on the rice. Although bottled, tasted pretty great. I have to tone down some on the kung pao sauce, it was a bit high in sodium and I'm feeling the results right now. After a few cooks I may venture in making my own.

IMG_1363.jpg

That is an absolutely sensational first time effort!:clap:

Gorgeous work, and your comments above are spot on.
How long was the wok over the fire before you first started cooking?
Oh, and welcome to the obsession! :yo:
Maybe, 3-4 minutes? Thanks! Obsession it is, I'm thinking of chop suey next time. Or a dish with water chestnuts, moo goo gai pan.

Back