MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Noob
On the road to being a farker

Default Spares and Baby backs tomorrow...quick question

So i trimmed, spiced & removed membrane on 2 racks of spares (tried to trim to st louis style) and 4 racks of baby backs.

Last weekend i did 1 rack of spares and 2 racks of beef. Did a 4-2-1 on the beefs and 3-2-1 on the spare ribs.

Tomorrow i will be doing the 3-2-1 on the spares, but what is the ideal cooking time for baby backs so they are tender and kick Tony Roma's arse?

Also, i dont spritz nor mop, but what can i put in my foil to help keep juicy?

I plan on basting with bbq sauce at 5.5 hrs til done.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The correct answer is as long as it takes :)

It depends on the temp you re cooking at and how big the racks are. here is what works for me, but YMMV...

Baby Backs (2.5 - 3 lbs per rack) - 270-ish, 2.5-1.5-glaze

St. Louis trimmed spares - 270-ish, 2.5-1.5-30-glaze

But, every rack is different, so those are approximate. Use either a toothpick between the bones or the bend test for see when they are done. The toothpick should slide in with no resistance. For the bend test if you pick up a rack from one end it should bend easily to about 90 degrees and the bark will start to crack. There is a great picture around here somewhere of that. I think Northwestbbq posted it.

BTW, it looks like you didn't trim enough to be St. Louis trimmed. The best way is to get the rack straight and find the longest bon and trim straight across at the top of that bone.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

I cook pork ribs at 275F.
Spares 2 1/2 hours unfoiled, then 1 1/2 hours foiled or until toothpick tender.
Baby backs 2 hours unfoiled, then 1 hour foiled or until toothpick tender.
I put squeeze butter, honey and brown sugar in the foil.
I don't sauce my ribs. I brush the juices from the foil on them and put on a bit of my rub.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The correct answer is as long as it takes :)

It depends on the temp you re cooking at and how big the racks are. here is what works for me, but YMMV...

Baby Backs (2.5 - 3 lbs per rack) - 270-ish, 2.5-1.5-glaze

St. Louis trimmed spares - 270-ish, 2.5-1.5-30-glaze

But, every rack is different, so those are approximate. Use either a toothpick between the bones or the bend test for see when they are done. The toothpick should slide in with no resistance. For the bend test if you pick up a rack from one end it should bend easily to about 90 degrees and the bark will start to crack. There is a great picture around here somewhere of that. I think Northwestbbq posted it.

BTW, it looks like you didn't trim enough to be St. Louis trimmed. The best way is to get the rack straight and find the longest bon and trim straight across at the top of that bone.
My last cook and where my offset likes to be is 240°. But i let it ride til 250° then close the intake til 235-240.

And i also figured i didnt cut enough as they seemed wide for true st louis but they look nice squared off

Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bump your pit to min 275 on the grate no foil 3-4 hrs until bend test passed, done! Tender & juicy pig pops.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Motley Q

what can u put in the foil?

answer: apple juice
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Bump your pit to min 275 on the grate no foil 3-4 hrs until bend test passed, done! Tender & juicy pig pops.

I've tried many different ways but this way has always given me the best results and is easiest!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Quote:
Yep this is my current trend and working on perfecting it (not bad but could improve)

Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
gigantor
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Apple juice mixed w/ the meat drippings.
gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantor View Post
Apple juice mixed w/ the meat drippings.
apple juice seems to be popular. Do i mist it on the rib or pour it on the foil?

Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
That's the ticket. I did untrimmed spares last weekend with simple Santa Maria seasoning cooked in this manner. Made me think, why do we trim spares? The results were delicious. The only thing I did was remove the membrane but I may skip that step next time just to see the results.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Noob - With your cooking temps go with 2-2-1 on the babybacks.
Just pour a little apple juice in the foil before wrapping.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
Noob - With your cooking temps go with 2-2-1 on the babybacks.
Just pour a little apple juice in the foil before wrapping.

Thanks. I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions but raising the temp 25-30° more than what i am used to was starting to get me nervous.

So i'll throw the spares in and after an hour ill throw the baby backs.

Quick question..do cooking times change if you have just 1-3 racks or in this case ima have 6

Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
Thanks. I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions but raising the temp 25-30° more than what i am used to was starting to get me nervous.

So i'll throw the spares in and after an hour ill throw the baby backs.

Quick question..do cooking times change if you have just 1-3 racks or in this case ima have 6
Short answer.. NO! Don't cook by time!!! Listen to the meat it will tell you all you need. When they pass the bed test they're done,

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Having 6 racks on at the same time may lengthen the time for the cook. Make sure they have space for the smoke/heat to get around each of them, so try not to have them touching. Perform the bend test on each rack before taking them out of the smoker. Pick up 1/4 end of a rack and if the rest of the rack bends like it is about to break or go 90 degrees you are done.