MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
BGEMike
Got Wood.

Another vote for Big Ron's original I find it to be a good all purpose rub if you go the prepared route. I would also like to experiment with making my own rubs but sourcing quality bulk ingredients for a reasonable price is my biggest problem. Have you given any thought to finding a good generic base and alter it to suit your needs.
BGEMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I really will never understand why ppl buy rubs. What we did was take a basic bbq rub and tailor it to our taste. Yes you will save $$ if you do any quantity. If you decide to do commercial check the first ingredient if it's salt I in my opinion would steer clear. Up to your taste buds though.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

I started off a few years ago with the good Dr's base recipe and have modified it many, many times until I've figured out the exact recipe that I like.

Dr BBQ, Ray Lampe: http://www.drbbq.com/drbbqfavoriterecipe.php

Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Storebought: +1 Simply Marvelous and Plowboy's. Also, Butchers makes great rubs!

Make your own, I rarely recommend books, especially BBQ books, but this one is very good:

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Storebought: +1 Simply Marvelous and Plowboy's. Also, Butchers makes great rubs!

Make your own, I rarely recommend books, especially BBQ books, but this one is very good:

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops, and Salsas (Non): Paul Kirk: 9781558321250: Amazon.com: Books

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces
Lake dog beat me to it, I highly highly recommend this book to everybody who is starting out cooking bbq. Doesnt really cost a bunch to make your own that you like and you know EXACTLY what is in it. Have bought many many books includuing Pauls second book and I still consider this one to be the best one out there for basic sauces and rubs for bbq.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
Now THAT is some great stuff right there!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

If you're wanting a homemade rub, you can't go wrong with Pitmaster T's Butt Glitter, or Patio Daddio's "memphis style" rub. He recently made a post where he doctored it up for large quantities.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I say Mike Mills Magic Dust as a basic rub then add to it to your liking. Great basic award winning rub recipe.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
tbutts
On the road to being a farker

Here is a recipe I have been playing with. I think in this batch the celery seed may be a little strong. For store bought rubs I prefer plowboys and spice wine rubs. Partly because I can get them locally. I have not tried simply marvelous yet but it is on my short list. I bought all of the ingredients at a local Amish store making it very economical.
2 cups kosher salt
2 cups brown sugar
.75 cup paprika
.9 oz chilli powder
.5 cup granulated garlic
.25 cup ground mustard
.25 cup celery seed
2 tbsp onion powder
.5 cup black pepper
1tbsp ground ginger.
tbutts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #25
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

plowboys, dizzy pigs, smokin guns, three little pigs...all good rubs.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
A lot depends on how much you use throughout the year.
I tend to need 20 or so pounds of rub per year for church events and so I make mine using the 8-3-1-1 formula from Alton Brown and confirmed by Myron. I also buy Myron's basic meat rub for use at home and as gifts -- though my blend and Myron's are similar

Last batch was 8# light brown sugar, 3# salt, 1# chili powder, 1# Spanish paprika, 1# blend of cayenne, black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, and I think dried basil. And yes, I used pounds as my unit of measure for this batch. I like weight better than "measure" scaling and keeping recipes correct.
That's where everybody's tastes are different, I never use more than 20-25% sugar of any type in my home made rubs. That's extreme, and will probably end up in a burnt mess cooking at higher temps then mid 200's.

Just don't get why that much sugar is needed on meat. It's all about the zesty peppery kick for me. If I was gonna make that rub, I'd cut the sugar down to 1.5-2lbs, and use Turbinado instead of brown. Then I'd boost the amount of fresh cracked pepper x 4 or so.

Never had any complaints.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #27
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Here is Harry Soo's All Purpose rub he shared on another site:

HARRY SOO's SLAP YOUR DADDY RUB

SYD All Purpose Rub (makes about 1 cup)
4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White granulated sugar
2 tbsp Brown sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black pepper
½ TSP Cayenne pepper (use sparingly or not at all!)
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
That's where everybody's tastes are different, I never use more than 20-25% sugar of any type in my home made rubs. That's extreme, and will probably end up in a burnt mess cooking at higher temps then mid 200's.

Just don't get why that much sugar is needed on meat. It's all about the zesty peppery kick for me. If I was gonna make that rub, I'd cut the sugar down to 1.5-2lbs, and use Turbinado instead of brown. Then I'd boost the amount of fresh cracked pepper x 4 or so.

Never had any complaints.
Kewl. I never get complaints either and don't burn my rubs cooking hot and fast since about 2005. Rubs, sauces, etc. are all about what YOU like.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #29
BobM
Babbling Farker

My rib rub.
8 parts Splenda
2 parts chili powder
2 parts paprika
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1/2 part salt
1/2 part black pepper
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

8 parts sugar substitute.

I'd be perfectly content with a rub that has zero sweet, 30% cracked pepper, 20% k salt, 20% gran garlic, 10% gran onion, and 20% mix of hot stuff like cayenne, chipotle/habanero powder, ground chili tepins. Would like to hear from others about this sweet thing in a rub. I get plenty of sweet just from a decently fresh gran garlic.

Don't get me wrong, I love sugar, I love candy, just don't use it when making meat.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote