Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe

Purgatory, inspired by this sauce and soon to be the first video in a seven day Pitmaster Video Festival, is actually a new obsession of mine. Here is why.... when I release "Purgatory Stout" sauce.... which is essentially a concentrate you place on standby (due to volume) to be "enhanced" later with water, you will see how I am going to be changing A LOT of my sauce recipes. The reason why is.... I typically make three individual and unique sauces when I do charity BBQ's.... what if you found a way to make a stout that has a common path to all three? Or even more.

That's the REVERSE of what some people do.... modify already "perfected" sauces.

For those that cross utilize... having say, 6 quarts of a Purgatory Stout (Shack) on standby... can get you easily to a Unique Hot Sauce (Full Strength), Mustard Sauce add Mustatrd and sugar, Sweet Red Sauce by adding Ketchup and sugar, glaze, by adding pectins, sugars etc, or vinegar sauce by adding water.

Sounds great!

I just made my first batch:

03_vinegar_based_sauce.jpg

I had to deviate from the original recipe as follows:
1 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Water
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
As suggested I replaced the 1/4 cup Hot Sauce with 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, because we only have Tabasco and Habanero in tiny expensive bottles, and Sriracha comes with added sugar and some other stuff, that I think should not go into such a fine and all natural product. The vinegar + cayenne had a really nice touch, not too hot, but with an enjoyable tangy kick.

I don't know how many kinds of Paprika you have available over there in powder form, but we always only use Sweet Paprika for rubs and sauces, so it was the logical thing to use for this recipe.

I know there is always a discussion going on about iodized salt, but table or kitchen salt is almost always iodized here, and the only alternative would have been sea salt, but I'm fine with table salt in this mix.

We don't have that really yellow cheap mustard, so when it's about mustard, it's tarragon, which comes in tangy and sweet flavors, I used the tangy one for this sauce.

The result is really surprising. At first I had reservations the sauce could get too thin due to the high amount of liquid, but once it left the blender, is really was a nice smooth sauce with an extraordinary flavor profile. Tangy, very vinegary with a slight kick of hotness. It was hard to stop tasting it, so it has to be good! It will come to good use for this Sunday's pork butt.

Some remaining questions:

• Do I want to store this sauce in the fridge, or at room temperature?
  • Do I want to shake the bottle once daily till it's used, or just let it sit around?
  • Is there an estimated expiry date or a "best before" opinion?

Looks like you nailed it!

I shake it before use. If you want to extend its shelf life, refrigerate it. My guess is that the shelf life would equal the shelf life of the mustard which is probably about 18 months with refrigeration.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2142680#post2142680

Shack Attack got me off my ass and started our new and first annual Film Festival.... Thanks Boshizzle and Keith Lilly.... Jizzle inspired Puragtory and Lilly inspired the Stout.

Here is what happened... I did an Oyler consult at a local resturant owned by some VP of Applesbees from way back. He was complaining about how he was going through having to make 50 gallon of sauce every few days and in the middle of me looking at his recipe (in his case) everytime he made his sauce to store in the walk in in those 5 gallon buckets he was adding nearly 40% water. I said, dude.... why don;t you make your sauce base, store it as a stout (which will cut down the labor of actually using and cleaning the big water jackets sauce vat) --- this it would cut this down 40% as well and you would have to do it almost half as often, then when you need sauce, simply add your portion of water - this also frees up your cook. Then in the middle of it... after making this Purgatory/Shack thing.... I decided to take my own advice... thus the video.

I have not read this thread until today but I did make some up and now wish I had made it yesterday because I was going to do some rib tips. Now I think I will wait until tomorrow at least.

I want to stick to the original recipe before making any changes, even used the blender but later after I have tried it on its own, I would like it to be thicker so it will stick better. xanthan gum was mentioned as a thickener, I have never used it and don't have any on hand, do you think arrowroot will do it?

I tasted it and it did not seem to hot, I used Sriracha hot sauce which is all I had on hand and I know it can sneak up on you, out of the question for my wife's taste buds.
Dave

Yes, I was also just wondering, how to get this sauce a little thicker, if not having any xanthan gum. The modified sauce I produced has a nice consistency, not really too liquid, but a touch thicker would not hurt either. So what additional ingredient would fit for this recipe to get it a little thicker?

Heating the sauce might slightly change its flavor. But, if you want to thicken it up a little, mix together very well 1/4 cup of the cool or room temperature sauce with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Bring the remaining sauce to a simmer. Briskly whisk in the sauce/cornstarch mixture. Let it simmer for about 1 minute or so.

This is for 16 ounces of sauce. You will need to adjust the amount of cornstarch if thickening more or less sauce.

I thought about the tomato paste but trying not to change the flavor until I have had a chance to use it as is, thanks PT.

Was thinking of the method you are saying. Thought if I made a slurry by heating the thickening agent up by its self, letting it cool and adding to the sauce again so as not to change the taste to much. Not even sure I will want to thicken it but if I do it would be a nice thing for a last minute glaze.
Dave

Guess I don't know how to use the mult-quote, anyone want to guide me through that process?

Hey Bo we had this sauce last night on our PP sammies and wow we loved it. I made it on Monday so it had a good 5 days to rest and it was awesome. Thanks again.

Simply click on the "+ buttons of the messages you want to quote, the buttons turn red afterward, then when you are ready, click on the reply button, that's it.

Ok testing to see if I can l do this. Thanks in advance.
Dave

I thought about the tomato paste but trying not to change the flavor until I have had a chance to use it as is, thanks PT.

Was thinking of the method you are saying. Thought if I made a slurry by heating the thickening agent up by its self, letting it cool and adding to the sauce again so as not to change the taste to much. Not even sure I will want to thicken it but if I do it would be a nice thing for a last minute glaze.
Dave

Guess I don't know how to use the mult-quote, anyone want to guide me through that process?

Just testing to see if I can make it work, sorry if I made you look.
Dave

Dave

Arrowroot is my go to thickener, just mix it equal parts outside the sauce and then re-add it back to the batch, no heat needed and alittle goes along way. I would start with a couple tablespoons equal parts and go from there. It its tasteless and shouldn't change the flavor profile.

awesome sauce, Bo. made some yesterday morning and did a taste, WOW :thumb:
want to let it sit another few days, i have a chicken to make pulled chicken with it!

Yes, I was also just wondering, how to get this sauce a little thicker, if not having any xanthan gum. The modified sauce I produced has a nice consistency, not really too liquid, but a touch thicker would not hurt either. So what additional ingredient would fit for this recipe to get it a little thicker?

One other point about thickening it. It is deliberately thin. The flavor should be like a smack in the mouth up front with some burn at the end when tasted straight. When put on meat or veggies, it should mellow out a little. It may be that thickening it will make it a bit too strong so, I'd suggest that if that is the case, you should add a little water to it.

If you want to go more modern, add apple juice or even peach or apricot jam or jelly that has been simmered to thin it out a little.

Done & eaten! We ditched the idea of making pulled pork sandwiches and wraps, and just ate it pure with the featured vinegar based sauce
27_sauced_pulled_pork_on_plate.jpg

The full report of this cook can be found here.

Heating the sauce might slightly change its flavor. But, if you want to thicken it up a little, mix together very well 1/4 cup of the cool or room temperature sauce with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Bring the remaining sauce to a simmer. Briskly whisk in the sauce/cornstarch mixture. Let it simmer for about 1 minute or so.

This is for 16 ounces of sauce. You will need to adjust the amount of cornstarch if thickening more or less sauce.

I made three batches... One I heated, one I did completely cold, and one I did using the "steep" (essentially steeping the spices in a portion of the nectar and pouring that in) The batch the best is the one with the steep. The worst is the heated one. Don't care why. HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!! the batch that was mixed start to finish cold and had to wait a day to merge was almost as good as the steeped version.

One other point about thickening it. It is deliberately thin. The flavor should be like a smack in the mouth up front with some burn at the end when tasted straight. When put on meat or veggies, it should mellow out a little. It may be that thickening it will make it a bit too strong so, I'd suggest that if that is the case, you should add a little water to it.

If you want to go more modern, add apple juice or even peach or apricot jam or jelly that has been simmered to thin it out a little.

I like and enjoy the CHALLENGA of suspending all those spices. I have had a few of these sauces up north (Carloinas) and you always had to shake the sediment on the bottom.... like a polaroid.

It is a right of passage.

Back