First competition soon

palmtreesmokehouse

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
This is my first post on here

my first competition is coming up soon in new jersey wanted to know if any have has some tips or advice for a first timer

If you haven't done it yet, run a mock competition at home. Set up exactly as you will at the real competition, including the starting time. Cook the full comp meats and "turn them in" at the normal times. Keep track of anything that you have to run into the house to get and add it to your packing list.

heaven help you if you get your name called.. you'll be broke like the rest of us !

My team is 2 comps into our short BBQ career. If this is your first comp:

1. Go out to learn, not to win
  2. Listen to what other competitors tell you
  3. Write down what you do
  4. Take pictures of what you do
  5. Don't stay up all night drinking Bourbon and Redbull (trust me on this one)
  6. Have fun
We've gotten lucky and walked away with a call in each of our 2 competitions. I still believe there must have been scoring errors to get us there in each.

Here's your goals -
Turn in's on time
Don't be DFL.
Have fun!
This was our goal for the first comp and we met them all. We were next to DAL but not last. We started practicing after that comp. We just finished our 4th comp and have had walks in the last 3. Don't over think stuff, have fun and practice practice practice. Good Luck

Back